Chapter 1

"Wow, that shot didn't even hurt! I didn't even cry this time!" The 6-year-old beamed at Minnie, the woman giving her a vaccine.

"I'm so proud of you, Chaeyoung. You know what?"

"What?"

"You can have this super special lollipop for being such a strong girl."

"Really!?" The way she smiled at her made Minnie's heart nearly explode in her chest. This kid was too damn cute.

"Now why don't you pick one out while I talk to your mommy real quick. How does that sound?"

"Thank you, Dr.Kim, you're the best!" She gave her another eye smile before methodically digging through Minnie's secret candy stash she keeps in her desk.

"Thank you, Dr.Kim." Chaeyoung's mom, Sana, bowed politely.

"No problem, just doing my job." She smiled back. "Now circling back to the data growth chart, it doesn't seem like Chaeyoung's gonna grow past 5'3."

Sighing, "It's okay, she already acts like she's 6'4."

Laughing, "Enthusiasm is always good. Believe me, for what Chaeyoung lacks in height, she makes up in spirit."

"That's good to hear. Her mother, Tzuyu, is very tall and every day Chaeyoung brags about how she's going to outgrow her one day." Sana smiled tiredly, her daughter was one wild kid—one with big dreams.

"Just let her have her fun for now, it won't take much longer before she realizes. But for now, make sure she's eating all her veggies and drinking enough water. Other than that, everything seems fine, Chaeyoung is a healthy girl." She said in her professional doctor's voice.

"Thank you again, you truly are the best."

"Until next time," she waved the mother and daughter pair out as they left. Chaeyoung gripping a hot pink wrapped candy in her hand, showing it off to her mother.

Slumping back in her chair, she loved her job but she'd be lying if she said it wasn't tiring. Chaeyoung was one of the good ones, having been her family doctor for 2 years now. But with others, she's been less fortunate, not everyone was as well behaved as her. Kids pulling on her hair, crying, and begging not to get shots were normal occurrences by now.

Finally checking her phone, she sees messages from her co-workers, inviting her to lunch. So she stands, straightening out the wrinkles on her white coat, walking in the general direction of the cafeteria.

"Yah! Kim Minnie! Over here!" She hears a rather familiar voice call out for her in the middle of all the semi-crowded tables in the eating area. Taking her tray of surprisingly tasty hospital food over to the table where four girls already sat.

"How's it been so far? Not too rough?" Her senior at the hospital, Soyeon asked. Jeon Soyeon's been at the hospital longer than all of them, being an experienced trauma surgeon in the critical care department.

"Ahh, nothing I can't handle. I'm just tired in general." She waved off the younger girl's concerns.

"I feel you unnie, I can't remember the last time I've gotten a full 6 hours of sleep." The cardiothoracic surgeon, Yeh Shuhua, relates. Being the youngest out of all of them, fresh from Seoul National University medical school, Yeh Shuhua earned the nickname "magic touch"; with her insane precision and focus in the operating room and chaotic, idiosyncratic personality outside of it—she was an interesting character.

"Yah, Shu scoot over. You're too close." The third oldest, Seo Soojin, complained. Soojin was the typical description of a tsundere. She was blunt and cold to the touch on the outside, but on the inside, she was soft and warm. She proved that every time she went out of her way to take care of her friends: leaving little tips and notes on time management on Minnie's desk, bringing Soyeon back to reality with meaningful advice from time to time, occasionally making lunches for Shuhua—knowing the younger sometimes skips meals when she's too busy to be bothered—and helping Yuqi remember certain facts about the human body, prepping her before every conference she's attended (not that many).