Chapter 26- Bailey

Start from the beginning

I cleared my throat and looked at her. "Why are you here?" I asked, finally asking the burning question that was going through my mind. "Why do you know about me when others don't?"

Ms. Craward smiled and patted my arm. "It's because I know that you have some questions and are worried about something," she said. She cleared her throat. "To answer your other question, your parents knew about the relationship that you have had with me. They knew that I absolutely adored you and didn't want to take me fully away from you if you ever decided to live here."

"Do you think that they knew I'd be back?" I asked.

She nodded. "But, I don't think they expected you to have kids," she said with a chuckle. "Nor did I."

I snorted and took a sip of my drink, noticing that it was tea.

It went smooth down my throat and stung my tongue a little because of the heat. The taste of mint was strong, something that I didn't mind.

She used to make this tea for me when I was younger and visited her every day.

"So, care to explain?" she asked and glanced at me sideways. "Why do you have kids?"

I shrugged. "They were my friend's kids," I said. "She... has had problems with drugs in the past, and sometimes they would stay at my place."

Me. Craweard raised an eyebrow. "Were?" she asked.

"She gave up legal guardianship over them, and I adopted them," I replied. "We thought it'd be for the best for them to go with someone they know and can take care of them."

And give them the life they deserve, I added silently.

"But you're still a child yourself," Ms. Craward said.

"Who has been adopted into a family that she knew, lived with then until she was about fifteen and has been living there ever since." I shrugged and took a sip of the tea. "Not to mention, I am working and have a better chance than some others my age."

"And what about Juilliard?" she asked and turned to look at me. She raised an eyebrow and gave me a pointed look. "What about them then?"

I looked at the cup and rubbed the side of it. I bit my lip and chewed, not wanting to answer her question because I had a feeling that she'd disagree about my choice of staying here.

"Bailey," she warned.

"I might stay here," I said and chose my words carefully. "It's... just not the kids that have made me lean towards that decision." I shrugged and took a sip of my tea.

Ms. Craward clicked her tongue, dissatisfied. "Well, I ne-"

The sound of my phone cut her off, the ringing startling both of us. 'I'm a Barbie Girl,' played, so I answered it immediately.

"Blake?" I asked, concerned. "Where are you? Are you all right?"

There was some stirring on the other end of the line. "Princess?" another male that was not Blake asked. "Is that you?" he asked.

I furrowed my brows and frowned, coffee. My heart pounded hard in my chest, and all I wanted to do was reach in through the phone and teach this person a lesson. I had no idea what was going on and prayed that Blake was safe "Princess?" I asked. "No, no, that's not me. I think you have the wrong number."

"Hmph," the male said, not satisfied. "I have your friend, Blake, I presume, sitting at my bar drunk as hell," he said. "I saw your phone number on the screen. It looks like he has been trying to call you."

"Give me another drink," the unmistakable sound of Blake said, begging. "Bartender, please. I want to forget about her."

"Sorry, Man, I can't do that," the bartender said. "You're way above the legal limit."

"I don't care. I want more."

The bartender sighed, and I had a feeling he rubbed the bridge of his nose. "Look, can you come and get him? He's at Booze in a Wall."

I frowned when I heard that, for that was the same watering hole my father liked to visit. I knew where it was, especially since it was in a rinky dink building that was inconspicuous if someone had never been before.

"Do you need me to tell you where it is located?" he asked.

"No, I already know where it is," I replied. "I'll be there shortly. Can you make sure that he doesn't have any more and stay there?"

"Will do," the bartender said before he hung up the phone.

I stared at my phone with furrowed brows, confused. My mind was going a mile a minute; the main thing that I was wondering was what had led him to drink?

"Bailey?" Ms. Craward asked.

"Blake's at Booze in a Will," I said, my voice different in my ears. "Trever and I are going to have to get him and his car. Can you watch the kids?"

Ms. Craward nodded. "Of course," she said and patted my arm. "Don't let him go. He's a good kid."

I nodded. "I won't," I promised.

She nodded. "Good. We'll talk about Juilliard later. Is that understood?" She gave me a pointed look, and I knew that I wasn't going to get out of the comment.

I sighed but nodded. "Yes, Ma'am," I said.

"Good, now get going. Get him before he does something stupid. Your kids will be safe with me."

I gave her a tired smile and stood before I walked into the house with her following me.

Maybe, just maybe, I could get him to tell me why he decided to drink, but I had no idea if that would work until tomorrow morning when he wasn't as drunk as he was.

Hopefully, it was only a one time thing and won't happen again.