Chapter Seven

Beginne am Anfang

"And where are you suggesting I do this?"

He grinned and pointed to the river.

"You gotta be joking." I whined.

"You're going to have to do it if you don't want to get caught. Trust me."

I sighed. "I guess you’re right." I waited for him to say something else but he didn't. We just stared at each other waiting for the other to speak. The sun slowly climbed up in the sky letting me know that I had to leave soon. I chewed on my lip before speaking again. "I guess I better go."

He nodded.

I turned not knowing what else to say. I was getting ready to throw myself into the river when he spoke.

"Come back whenever you want." He said softly.

He was gone by the time I turned around to thank him. I jumped into the icy river with a smile on my face. Being invited back made me happy. I sneaked back into the Camp, water dripping off my body. I shivered as the cool breeze blew around me. I could see a couple of lights on in the cottages. Females already starting their day. I left a trail of water as I walked into the Cub House. When I was in my room I quickly changed and sleep for a couple of hours before starting my day.

Usually I kept myself locked up in my room until I was famished. I never really mingled with the females but this day was different. I felt that I needed to go out and try to see things in a different light. Samara advice was something I wanted to take to heart.

I combed my hair and left it loose. I was surprise by how long it was. Ever since I was younger I kept it short. My wild curls were easier to tame that way. I hated my curly hair. I never let it grow pass my shoulder but now it was quickly creeping its way down my back. I was pretty positive that hair wasn't supposed to get that long in just a couple of weeks.

I put my flip-flops on and opened my door and immediately all but one door in the hallway swung opened. Four heads popped out to stare at me. I was sure they were all surprise to see me. I never left my room for anything during the day. I tried to smile as I walked by but I'm pretty sure I failed. I could feel their stares from behind as I walked. I moved as quickly as I could down the stairs and out of the building.

As I walked out into the sunlight, I paused to let the sun illuminate my skin. I had almost forgotten what the warm rays of sunlight felt like. I never left my room at this time of day. Wide eyes followed me as I made my way through the courtyard. Everyone stared at me like I was a mysterious creature. They saw me but they didn't quite believe it. I felt like Big Foot.

The women didn't stare for long. They all got bored of watching me when they figured out I wasn't up to anything. They all went back to whatever they were doing. I spotted little girls playing; they ran around laughing and screaming. I found myself stopping to watch them. They seemed so normal. I guess in my mind I had pictured them fighting over raw meat like animals.

I heard someone call my name. I turned and saw Tamanna and Aliesha walking my way. Aliesha walked slightly behind Tamanna. I could tell she didn't want to be anywhere near me. Tamanna smiled and waved. I smiled back.

"Hey!" She said when she was in front of me. "You're out of your room and it's not even dusk. I'm surprised."

"Yeah. I decided to come out before I forgot what the sun felt like."

"Well you're right on time." Tamanna grinned. "We're going into town. You should come with us. Right, Ali?" Tamanna said turning to face Aliesha.

"Sure." Aliesha mumbled. It was pretty obvious she didn't want me to come.