They sat down with him and pulled out their potions book, opening it to the next chapter.

"Surprised you had time to study with us, Sev," Rose said, referring to his new friends.

"Hey! I have other friends too! You both are hanging around those idiots anyways," Snape defended, closing his book.

"Not all of them are idiots. Just some. Besides, our friends aren't trying to figure out ways to join Voldemort," Lily said in a whisper, looking up at their childhood friend.

It was no secret who Voldemort was and what he stood for. Every year more and more kids were pulled from school out of fear and others pulled out of class to be informed that their parents had been murdered.

And if that wasn't bad enough, it was a guessing game of who was trying to be a death eater and who wasn't. Sometimes you couldn't trust your own classmates, people you had grown up with.

Severus's face turned paler. "They aren't seriously trying to join him... they're just scaring the muggleborns," he said, trying to defend himself and his house. He was careful not to use mudblood.

"But that's the problem. They don't like us, they do think people like us should die. And you not saying anything to them reinforces that. We could be killed, Sev," Rose told the boy seriously.

"You won't. I promise you won't. And I promise I'll try and talk to Avery and Nott," he responded, giving the girls a nod. They trusted him.

***

Soon enough the first quidditch match of the year was upon the young Gryffindors and it was against Slytherin.

If they wanted a chance to win the cup, they needed to defeat Slytherin today, at any cost.

The team was getting prepared in the locker room, each member putting on their robes and shining their brooms.

James and Sirius were fooling around with each other, their nerves came out as ego, confidence was oozing off of them.

Marlene, on the other hand, who was usually a loud and proud girl, was sitting quietly on the bench, twirling her broom in hand.

Rose sat down beside her friend, knowing she was nervous.

"Are you sure I was the right pick for this? I mean there has to be somebody better than me that can go out there..." she began, rambling.

"Hey! You are the best pick for this team, I know you are! I've seen you play, Marlene. We've put so much work into this and you look so good out there. Don't think about it, just play your best and I know we'll win," Rose assured, squeezing her shoulder.

After reassuring her friend, Rose stood up and walked to the middle of the locker room, looking around at her team.

"Alright! This is our first game of the season against one of our biggest rivals. I have some info that says they're good. But we're better," the boys in the locker room cheered loudly at that, raising their brooms.

"I know all of you are amazing players and over the last few weeks, we've worked hard. So let's put that to use today and win this game. Everyone, stay calm and collected and focus on your job. Let's do this and work as a team," Rose finished her pep talk and gathered the team, cheering once more as a team before it was time for their walkout.