Chapter 17: The Truth

Start from the beginning

Photos of war, newspapers, Howard and Peggy, continue to appear on the screen. How did no one find this out in the past seventy years? "That's impossible. S.H.I.E.L.D. would have stopped you," Natasha tells the scientist.

"Accidents will happen," Zola says when a photo on Tony's parents death appear. Then it cuts to Fury's file, labeling him as deceased. "HYDRA created a world so chaotic that humanity is finally ready to sacrifice its freedom to gain its security. Once a purification process is complete, HYDRA's new world order will arise. We won, Captain. Your death amounts to the same as your life. A zero sum," Zola says and I watch as Steve's jaw clenches at his words.

Then it happens. Steve quickly punches the scree, breaking the glass. "As I was saying," Zola says as he appears on another screen. I quickly turn to look at it with disgust.

"What's on this drive?" I ask as I stand in front of it.

"Project Insight requires insight. So I wrote an algorithm."

"What kind of algorithm? What does it do?" Natasha asks coming up behind me.

"The answer to your question is fascinating. Unfortunately, you shall be too dead to hear it," Zola says then suddenly the door behind us close.

Steve throws his shield at it to try and keep it open, but he's not quick enough as it lands back on his arm. Then Natasha's phone starts beeping. "We got a bogey," Natasha tells us, "Short range ballistic. Thirty seconds tops."

"Who fired it?" Steve asks and I freeze at Natasha's next words.

"S.H.I.E.L.D."

"I am afraid have been stalling, Captain," Zola says and I grab the flash drive and hand it to Natasha before placing my sword into my holder, "Admit it. It's better this way."

Steve then runs forward before pulling a cover off the ground to a hole. "We are, both of us, out of time," Zola says as Natasha runs in front of me with her behind me. We jump in with Steve following using his shield to cover us.

Then a large explosion happens as we jump in and I tightly wrap my arms around Natasha to hold her close. The building begins to collapse on us as Steve continues to hold up his shield. I hold Natasha close to me as Steve as his arm around the both of us. Soon all I see is blackness.

----------

I slowly become conscious when I hear groaning. I cry out a little when I move. "Evalina?" I hear Steve say.

I open my eyes, "Steve?"

I then wake up fully as I push to rubble off of me. "Tasha," I say as I look to my right to see her unconscious.

"She's okay. She'll wake up, we got to go," Steve tells me. I stand up and take my girlfriend into my arms. I wrap one of her arms around my shoulder and follow Steve out.

We hear a roaring sound of planes and we look into the sky to see S.H.I.E.L.D. We then start running so we don't get caught. There is an opening in part of the gate and we make our way through.

The woods is where we start running to next. "Over there," Steve says pointing to a cave. We quickly rush inside and I let out a deep sigh as we move into a corner.

I sit on one side of the cave with my back resting against the rough wall. I hold Natasha in my lap with her head resting on my chest. I watch as Steve leans against the wall across from me. My eyes close as I start the healing process on my body, knowing that it would take some time after what just happened.

"Thank you," I say as I open my eyes, catching Steve's attention, "These past few days have been horrible and not only have you saved my life, you also saved Natasha's."

"Just make it up to me by not doing anything else stupid," he tells me with a smile.

I chuckle lightly and nod. "Deal, Captain," I tell him.

I gently rub my girlfriend's arm as silence consumes the air. The only thing I hear are the loud sounds of planes, water dripping from inside the cave, animal chatter, and my girlfriend's breathing.

After a couple minutes, Natasha starts to move. "Hey," I say softly as she opens her eyes, "You're okay."

"What happened?" Natasha asks looking at me as she sits up in my lap.

"S.H.I.E.L.D. and the building collapsing," I tell her and she nods.

"We're in a cave," Steve says and Natasha quickly turns to look at him, "Had to hide somewhere till they leave. Once they do, we go back to the car and we head out."

"Where are we going anyways?" I ask and smile softly when Nat rests her head on my shoulder.

"Remember that guy you two met when you picked me up for the mission?" Steve asks and I roll my eyes at the mention of him, "Hopefully he can help us out."

"Alright," Natasha says as she stands up. I watch as she starts moving to stretch her muscles and making sure she doesn't have any major injuries.

"I'm going to go where they are. I'll be right back," Steve says as he stands up when the sound of the planes stop.

"You okay?" Natasha asks as she looks down at me when Steve walks out.

"Yeah, healing process is going. Just tired," I tell her and she nods.

I stand up and Natasha wraps her arms around my waist before laying her head on my chest. I wrap my arms around her and run my fingers through her hair. I place a soft kiss on her head when Steve walks back in.

"We can head out, just have to be careful," he tells us.

Natasha let's go of me and we follow Steve out. He walks in front of us with his shield on his back. I watch as Natasha limps as she walks in front of me. I make my way to her side and hold my arm out for her. She sends me a smile before wrapping one her arms around it.

We then start to see the flames from the building come into view. A large bonfire of where S.H.I.L.D. possibly started while having HYDRA spies working on the inside. "Come on, car is over there," Steve says pointing to where pulled in.

"I'm sitting with you," Natasha tells me and I smile. We soon reach the car and Steve goes to the drivers seat.

I open the back door and Natasha gets in and I follow after. Once I sit down, Natasha rests her head on my shoulder and I wrap my arm around her. "You guys good?" Steve asks as he starts the car and drives away from the burning building.

"Yeah," I tell him when Natasha doesn't respond.

I look down at my girlfriend and see that her eyes are closed. I feel her breathing even out and I know that she is asleep. I rest my head on top of Natasha's and fall asleep as well.

~~~

I hope you all enjoyed the chapter and don't forget to comment, vote, and stay safe!

~ The Author