the other side of the door

hello everyone I'm back again with my random update before I completely disappear for the next year and a half... kidding.. (I hope). I thought I would try something different with this chapter so enjoy this Tom POV! Thank you guys so much for all the comments and compliments on this story I really appreciate them all. I have a harry styles story out rn on my profile so if your into that please check it out. Enjoy this chapter :) 

Tom knows that she's following him. Even though his organization took a huge hit when she almost exposed him to the CIA and he had to go on the run, he still manages to have people in just the right places. He knew she would be at the gala, even though he didn't recognize her immediately because she's changed a lot since he last saw her. She's a bit rougher around the edges, though he suspects that is because she's on her own now. He knows how that is, being cut off from everything you've ever known and forced out into the world with no safety and no training wheels.

He had to do the same thing and he turned out just fine.

Well minus the whole running criminal empire, killing people from time to time and almost killing the girl he likes but then changing his mind for some reason. (He knows the reason, but he's not ready to admit it outloud, or even in his head). Maybe he just wants to see what she'll do next, maybe a small part of him always has. When he hears of her exploits in Paris, the trap she fell into and her subsequent escape through a fourth floor window, he half expects her to be dead. Somehow though, she's managed to make it out relatively unscathed and now she's coming right for him in Berlin.

He almost doesn't want her to, because now he's going to have to take care of the problem that she creates, and he can't go back on it this time. If his plan is going to work, he has to make it to London with no one on his tail ex government operative or otherwise. He has to fly completely under the radar or he'll spook the very person he's been chasing across Europe. He wonders if he's her ghost now, if he's the one thing she'll always chase no matter how much trouble it gets her into and how many bridges she'll have to burn along the way. He has ghosts of his own, particularly this one that he feels like he's been chasing his whole life.

He thinks that maybe he is just a chip off the old block as they say. His father left him behind almost without a trace, loved a woman and then threw her away as soon as something better came along. His mother didn't tell him who his father was until much later, and anything he did say was more to scare him than anything else. The legacy he'd inherited was the very one he was living up to, being hunted by the government, leaving destruction in his wake, all for the possible satisfaction of having some kind of power.

When he sees (Y/N) he sometimes let's himself think that maybe he wants something else, maybe he could have something else, but he always goes back to the life he knows, the life he was born into no matter how much his mother tried to teach him right from wrong. He's just like his father and he knows it, but for the first time in what feels like his whole life he doesn't quite see anything wrong with it. That's why he wants to find him, meet him for the first time, the ghost he's chasing isn't for more power (even though that's what he's accruing as he travels) it's for some kind of twisted acceptance. He thinks that maybe if he finds the man who gave him all this, that the approval will stop him from even thinking about anything and anyone else. If he's told that he's doing the right thing then there's no reason to think about any other kind of life, right?

He knows that she's coming to Berlin, so from there he sets another trap for her. It's a very easy one to put together, she always thinks that she's figured something out about him when he's letting her do all of it. He feeds someone he knows is a rat some information about him having a meeting at a high rise office complex on one of the top floors, knowing that when he goes to what will be an empty floor, she'll show up in her own way to try and "arrest" him. 

That day, he feeds the information and he waits. It's just him, standing in the middle of a room for what feels like hours, waiting for her to burst through the elevator door and say that she has him, when in reality it's the other way around.

Finally, the doors open and she steps out. She's still bruised from her fall in Paris, but she still makes him feel the way she always has. The way he felt when he first met her as Amalia Cross, the way he felt when he decided he didn't want her to die and the way he felt when he saw her at the gala in spain. This woman is something else entirely.

Too bad he's going to have to end this here and now.