Chapter 1

More and more people enter the room, stuffing the already full house. The music doesn't drown out though, it only intensifies, every beat making my skin vibrate.

"This is my favorite song," I say, smiling widely.

"What?" Cire screams over the noise.

I lean into his ear, "I said, this is my favorite song," instead of moving back, I wrap my arms around his neck, sending a wave of warmth and comfort through my body as we dance in sync with the music.

"Oh yeah?" He smiles, making my stomach flutter as he pulls me even closer.

We dance for more songs than I can count, until my feet start to hurt and my head starts to pound, that's when I know I need a break. When the last song ends, I unwrap my arms from his neck.

"I'm gonna go get a drink," I say, slowly walking away.

Weaving through the crowd, I make my way to the kitchen and grab some water.

"Hey! You're Cire Rendrag's girl right?" I turn around to see some boy around my age leaning over the kitchen counter with a quizzical look on his face.

I furrow my eyebrows. This isn't the first time someone has referred to me as 'Cire's girl'. Though sometimes it doesn't bother me, other times it does. I'm my own person after all. Then again, Cire knows everyone, and everyone knows him. I just happen to be dating the hottest guy in school. How I got so lucky? I'll never know. But I've just gotta accept that it comes with its downs.

"Alya," I reply.

"Alya, that's right!" he gives me a weird look.

"Is something wrong?"

"So you haven't heard," what is he talking about?

"Heard what?" Suddenly I feel something warm touch my shoulders. I turn around to see Cire covering me with his jacket, a scowl on his face.

"And who the hell are you?" He snaps at the guy. A couple of people start to stare.

The guy I was previously talking to puts his hands up in surrender. "I don't want any trouble man."

"Hey, calm down we were just talking," I say, hesitantly placing my hand on Cire's arm.

"Don't fucking lie to me Alya." He turns to me harshly, making my hand fall pathetically to my side.

"Don't start." I run my fingers through my braids, already dreading whatever he's about to say.

"Are you seriously blaming me right now?" he says. So much for having fun tonight.

"Yes, 'cause you're being jealous for absolutely no reason!" his eyes darken.

"Maybe if you weren't wearing that dress I wouldn't have to be jealous," I look down at the black dress I'm wearing. Tight, just above my knees, spaghetti straps.

"Let's just go." I turn around, ripping his jacket off my shoulders. I storm out of the house and walk to his car, trying to ignore the embarrassment of having people witness that entire conversation. I want to tell them that it's fine, that it's not what they think. That he's just kinda protective because he loves me and wants the best for me.

When I reach the car, I go into the passenger seat and slam the door shut. Cire soon follows in the driver's side.

"What the fuck Cire, what was that? You were being such a jackass!" I turn to him.

"Look at yourself, people were staring, guys were staring."

"Because you were screaming at me!"