Chapter 23

Evie wakes up in the morning and feels panicked. Mal and she got into a disagreement. She had talked to Doug about it, but nothing felt right. Sleeping over it made her think more clearly. Yes, Mal lost her memory. Yes, Evie should have been more careful with what she said. No, Mal's destiny is not Storybrooke. 

Evie knows she needs to fix her relationship with Mal before her memories return. Evie sums up her courage to get out of bed and get dressed.  She debates in her head whether to ask for help or not. She eventually decides to ask Ben to go with her, remembering what Carlos told her about what Mal and Henry. Ben could use sometime with her.

Evie knocks on Ben's door and sees his face rather quickly. He looks at her and motions for her to come in.

"Be quiet." Ben tells her.

"Why? Oh my god! What is she doing here?" Evie whisper-screams at Ben.

"I have no idea, she appeared in my bed yesterday and she was ice cold."

"So is this? What is this?" Evie hisses, hitting Ben's shoulder.

 "Ok, I don't understand why you are getting freaked out by this, maybe she's remembering."

"And if she's not, she is going to freak out!" 

"Well, I have hope that she is remembering."

"Oh great, you have hope. Everything is solved," Evie says, her voice dripping in sarcasm. "That's not how life works Ben! I guarantee she's going to freak out and you won't have an explanation! other than you appeared in my bed! Do you know how weird and creepy that sounds? I don't think you do! God, we going to be arrested right? Fairy Godmother could probably convince Emma not to arrest us. I totally forgot, Mal's staying with Henry, Emma, and Killian! They probably don't know where she is! Ben! Why are you so calm? You should be freaking out more! Freak out more!" 

Evie punches Ben's chest, in her frenzied speech.

"Look, I'm sure everything will work out, she came here for a reason right?"

"You are such an Auradonian! Of course you have hope in a stupid situation! That's not how it works!" Evie almost yells, but takes a look at Mal and doesn't.

"Ben I know you love her, but if I were her, I would have thought that you kidnapped me."

"Why would I kidnap her?"

"Because you love her, allegedly."

"I do love her Evie."

"Then don't be in the room when she wakes up. Now I was going to ask you if you wanted to come with me and talk to her, but I don't think that's our main problem. Come with me, we need to convince Harry and Uma, not to get Maleficent involved."

"How did we end up like this Evie?"

"Because you can't say to no to tasks given to you by anyone," Evie sighs.

"Little mean, but I get it."

"Good, now come with me." Evie pulls Ben by the ear and leaves Mal in the room by herself.

Evie and Ben get to Harry's door and Evie can smell the odor radiating from the room. 

"Why are they so stinky?" Evie pinches her nose.

"They are teenage pirates?" Ben offers. 

"I don't even want to go in there anymore," Evie complains. 

"Well, we could go back to my room?"

"No, we are talking to the pirates and if I can help it, not lose our sense of smell." 

After entering the room, Evie almost throws up, but holds it back to talk to the three pirates. It took a it of back and forth, but eventually Uma agreed that they will wait to get Maleficent. Harry didn't agree and told Gil to take his side, who agreed because what does Gil know? Uma whispered something in Harry's ear to make him switch sides and now no one will get Maleficent or Hades or anyone else who reveals themself to be Mal's parent.

Ben and Evie leave and get to her room. Breathing in the fresh air, Evie opens the door.

"So what are you going to do about Mal? She's probably up by now and we have to deal with that now, so?" Evie says.

"I don't know, maybe just tell her the truth?"

"Ok, what is the truth?"

"She appeared in my bed almost frozen to death and I let her sleep there and I slept on the floor."

"None of that sounds believable."

"Ok, fine, I slept in the bed with her, but the rest of it is true."

"Ok, fine, say I believe you, what if she yells at you?"

"Then she yells at me."

"No duh, Ben. What are you going to do? How are you going to react?"

"I don't know," Ben sighs, running his hands through his hair.

"Why not?"

"Because I didn't think this through."

"Great! Now that we are on the same page, go talk to her." Evie relaxes knowing that they are on the same page.

"Wait, what? You're letting me talk to her?"

"Yeah, so as long as we are one the same page, you didn't think this through."

"Ok, then we are on the same page," Ben says awkwardly.

"Go talk to her and tell me how it goes!"

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Ben asks.

"No, but we have to figure this out, right?" Evie says nervously.

"Maybe this is a big mistake..." Ben says awkwardly. Evie rolls her eyes and drags Ben by his ear to his door.

"Go in there and explain to your girlfriend what happened." Evie almost shoves Ben into the room. Ben glares at Evie as she closes the door and takes a deep breath. Mal is still asleep and looks very peaceful. 

Ben stares at Mal while she sleeps, thinking about how creepy this is. He should look away, but he can't seem to tear his eyes away, until Mal starts to stir. That's when Ben started to panic.