2

As the sun rose it was apparent that the young child hadn't had a very peaceful slumber the night before. Her hair was sticking out all over the place and she rubbed her eyes tiredly yawning every couple of minutes. She still clutched onto the speckled deer plushie in her right arm as Severus asked her what she wanted to eat.

" Pancakes please," She said with another yawn. She sat the deer plushie in front of her making sure it wouldn't fall before looking to the man who had welcomed her into his home. Severus turned around just as ingredients and pans flew all around the pair going to question the girl on wh she was so tired when he stopped himself. She was looking around the room in awe at everything that was seamlessly moving on its own.

" Do you like that?" Severus asked with a small smile at the look of amazement on her face. She nodded looking to him her e/c eyes sparkling brightly. He chuckled taking a seat in front of her on the kitchen island. He pointed to the deer plushie getting her attention once again. " Who's this?" He asked.

" Her names Pebbles," She answered smiling as she fixed her sitting stance on the counter once she realized she was starting to fall.

" Where did you get her?" Severus asked trying to keep a conversation going between them. Her smile dropped and her eyes glazed over. All the events that took place that night came flashing back in one horrific scene. She started breathing heavier as the green flash overtook her vision and thee cries of herself, her mother and her brother all became too much.

Severus watched in horror as this tiny three-year-old girl had a full-blown anxiety attack. He got to his feet going to her side places his hands on her shoulders but she began screaming knocking his hands off of her as she fell off the chair falling to the ground with a thud. Tears were streaming out of her eyes as she looked around the room in horror and with terror-filled eyes. Severus got to the ground staying far enough away so she wouldn't get scared even more but close enough that she would know he was there to help. He said soothing words but they fell upon deaf ears.

Y/n covered her ears and closed her eyes putting her head between her legs rocking back and forth. Severus slowly moved towards her grabbing a blanket from a nearby chair and the deer plushie. He slowly and hesitantly put the blanket around her his heart clenching at how she flinched when he did. He placed the deer at her feet hoping if she opened her eyes she'd see the plushie.

After several minutes of silence only the occasional hiccup or whimper from the small girl she opened her eyes grabbing at the animal she held so dear to her heart. She grabbed the edges of the blanket and held it closer to her body as she continued to rock back and forth. Severus slowly moved closer trying not to alarm her again. Once she noticed what she was doing she crawled towards him burying her head into his chest and curling up into a ball on his lap. Severus hesitantly wrapped his arms around her continuing the rocking motion that she had when soothing herself. She was still hiccuping but her breathing had gone down and her heartbeat decreased.

" Are you hungry little gem?" He asked. She gave a slight nod of her head but made no move to get up. He gave a tight-lipped smile in pity for the small child he held in his arms. He slowly stood up making sure he had a good grip on her so she wouldn't fall from his arms. Once he was stood he tried placing her in the chair she was in once before but she protested.

" Don't leave me," She whimpered. His heart broke again at how meek the words came out. He didn't say anything but grabbed the to plates and place them in front of his chair sitting down with her still curled against him. She uncurled herself and sat up straight grabbing a fork and eating the sliced bits of pancake Severus had cut for her. " Thank you." She whispered.

After the duo had finished their breakfast Severus told her to get changed and when she said she couldn't he realized she only had the clothes that she came in, a necklace and a deer plushie. So after he got a new pair of clothes they headed into town to get the young girl some new clothes, toys and maybe new decorations for her room. She held his hand staying close to him s they walked through the aisles.

" Go on and look I'll be right behind you," he said gently letting go of her hand and pushing her forward. She looked back before taking a few hesitant steps forward and looking at all the clothes.

" This one?" She asked holding up a pink sparkly princess dress.

" Anything you want," He answered. She gave him a big smile before she put lots of clothes on the shopping cart. She had got about 10 dresses, 17 shirts, 4 pairs of jeans, 7 pairs of leggings, and 6 skirts. Severus was sure they'd come back again and get more clothes but for now, it was a good start.

" Can I get some toys?" Y/n asked looking up to Severus with pleading eyes. He nodded leading her to the toy aisle. She went crazy grabbing a bunch of baby dolls, stuffed animals, barbies and other interesting toys.

" Okay I think that's enough," Severus said giving a chuckle as she pouted. She had the cart filled almost to the brim with clothes and toys. " You want to go look for new dressers and bedsheets?" Severus asked.

" I want more toys," She whined looking up to him with pleading eyes.

" You can get one more and then we're going to go look for decoration for your room," Severus said giving in. She smiled before running through the aisles and picking out a new toy, playdough. " Now don't stick that in the carpets of couches okay?" He asked and she nodded happily she was able to get all these new things.

" Harry and I used to have a lot of toys," Y/n said looking ahead. " We had a whole basket of them. Harry didn't play with them that much but I loved them." She continued on she had trouble with the r's making them sound more like w's.

" I bet you had a lot of fun huh?" Severus asked trying not to make her any more upset but she had brought this up herself. She nodded looking down at her feet.

" Do you think they're all right?" She asked looking up at Severus.

" Who dear?" Severus asked.

" Harry, mom and dad?" She clarified tilting her head a bit before going and looking at all the bedsheets. " When the big man came mommy was lying on the floor and wouldn't get up. is she in the doctors now? I know harry's with those mean people but maybe daddy came and got him and just forgot about me?" She asked a little sniffle coming out.

" I don't think so honey," Severus answered in a quiet voice. It was so hard hearing all of this from a young child.

" Then maybe Padfoot got Harry? He said he'd be back for us but he never was," Y/n continued on more tiny sniffles before she pointed to a blue bed set that had butterfly's on them. " He never came back for us. Do you think he's all right? He was really sad when they found us, cried about mommy and daddy. Do you think Padfoot misses us?" She asked looking up at him.

" I'm sure he does," Severus answered.

" Do you think Harry misses me?" She asked as they started checking out.

" Loads I'm sure," He answered.

" Would you miss me if I was gone?" She asked.

" Absolutely," He said with certainty.

" So you won't be like Uncle vermin and Aunt stinky who kicked me out?" SHe asked. Severus gave a smile at the names she created for the couple and shook his head.

" I would never kick you out," He answered as he got in his car buckling her up. " I think of you as much my daughter as I would if you had my blood running through you. You're my little gem now and forever," He said kissing her forehead.