3

Screams. That's all she could hear, she didn't know if they were her own, the people outside her home or Harry's. All she knew was that her mother was running to the stairs as she left her father behind. Y/n looked behind tears filling her eyes as she saw her father standing in front of the door wand out as he had a serious look on his face. As the door burst open and the green flash filled the room she cried clutching onto her mother as she turned the corner entering Harry's room.

" Stay behind me okay?" Lily said as she put the two in Harry's crib. Y/n sniffled as she turned to hold her brother. " I promise nothing will happen to you while I'm here. I love you both so much," Lily whispered closing her eyes for a moment. When she opened them she was met with two sets of wide-eyed children staring up at her. She smiled kissing each of her children's foreheads hoping to calm herself down along with them. Y/n closed her eyes for a moment until the handle on the door was turning. Lily cast a spell sealing it shut but she knew it'd be to no avail.

" What's happening?" Y/n asked her lip quivering.

" Nothing baby," Lily said looking back to the door. " Just, take good care of Harry if Daddy and I get sick okay?" Lily said tears entering her own eyes. She shouldn't have to be saying this to her child, she thought with anger. As the door opened Lily stood up straight pointing it at the intruder.

There was another green flash and Lily fell. " Mumma?" Y/n whimpered. The man cackled as he lifted his wand at the children. " NO!" Y/n screamed turning and covering Harry, not very well. She felt a horrible sting in her right shoulder blade as Harry started crying. She blinked suddenly feeling very dizzy and cold.

" Harry, you okay?" Y/n asked her words slurring as they did as she struggled to keep consciousness. He cried and that's when Y/n noticed the lightning bolt scar on his forehead. "I'm sorry Harry." Before she fell into a deep slumber she grabbed the blanket behind harry and wrapped it around his shoulders kissing his forehead, right beside the cut just like Lily would.

" All better now," Y/n said giving a weak smile. She soon passed out not waking until she was in a different house being yelled at by a man with no neck and a woman with too much neck.

~~~

Severus ran into Y/n's room as he woke up to her bloodcurdling screams. When he got in there he saw her thrashing on the bed the covers getting tangled around her tiny body. He went to her side gently shaking her shoulders and saying her name not wanting to hear this anymore. this was the sixth night in a row she'd been like this but this had to be the worse. When Severus would ask about it or mention things about her family she would go into a full panic attack.

He couldn't deal with this anymore, he needed to find a solution for this. He didn't want her to live with this the rest of her life. She was only three but he could see the effect it had on her already. She didn't want to play with other children when he'd take her to the playground instead insisted that Severus be by her side at all times. She needed constant reassurance that he wasn't going to leave her and she'd always ask about Harry, which would soon set her off into another panic attack.

As she woke up her eyes opening wide and her breathing frantic Severus brought her into a hug. She clutched onto him as she cried into his shoulder. She was muttering words but he couldn't make out what she was saying. He just sat on the floor of her bedroom rubbing soothing circles on her back and signing to calm her down. That was one thing that seemed to always calm her down, him signing. He didn't think he was that good but she seemed to like it.

Soon she fell asleep, or more like passed out from how much she had cried. Severus knew they both couldn't continue like this so he owled the only person her could think of, Albus Dumbledore. Albus came in the early morning before Y/n had woken up from another nightmare, so when she did finally wake up from one he got to see just how bad it was.

" I don't know what to do Professor," Severus said his head between his hands as steam floated in his face from the coffee beneath him. " She's so traumatized from this that she doesn't get any sleep. She doesn't want to meet new people, she doesn't want me leaving, she won't even let me go get the mail without her. It's messing with both of us and I refuse to just give up on her as those muggles did." Severus explained.

" I think there's only one thing you can do her Severus," Albus said. Severus looked at Albus with hope. He would do anything to make all of this stop without giving up on the young girl. Soon they had gotten the half-asleep girl into the kitchen laying her on the couch as Severus took his wand pointing it to her head. He looked back to Albus needing to know this was the right thing to do and the professor nodded with remorse written on his face.

They waited until she started having the nightmares again which didn't take long to perform the act that would change her life forever. Severus stared down at her as he muttered the incantation seeing as she once scrunched up face relaxed. Her limbs went limp all tension leaving them at once. She melted into the couch as she looked so peaceful, Severs could only hope this worked. After he finished the last words he stepped back anxiously waiting for her to wake again. Albus put a comforting hand on his shoulder silently telling him he was doing the right thing and that she was going to be okay.

In the young girl's mind, everything was changing. The green flash turned into the bright sun as Severus, Y/n and her mother were laid on the grass pointing at different clouds and what they thought they looked like. The terrible cackles of the man with no nose turned into joyous laughter and scream from Y/n's newfound friends at the nearby park. The scared looks on her mother's face just before she left the young girl forever was replaced with a smiling woman holding a camera as Y/n blew out candles.

The screams that always started out the dreams turned into her own screams but this time they weren't because of something that would haunt her forever. It was replaced with a memory of Y/n's mother leaving to go to work for the first time after a month-long vacation. The creaks of the stairs as Lily ran to Harry's room were replaced by her own as she snuck down to get more cookies, that plan was foiled by her mother.

The only bad memory she still held was the one where she got her scar. She had been playing in the front garden, somewhere she was not supposed to be when she tripped falling backwards and hitting one of the spikes that lined the area of their house. Luckily it hadn't gone too far and would heal up in a matter of weeks with a few stitches.

The last memory that was planted into her mind was that of her mothers funeral. Her unborn brother had caused her death, she still remembers how sad she was then. It had only been a couple of months after all. That was one of her worst new memories.

All the horrific nightmares she had all day and night were now replaced with joyous ones that made her happy, even if they weren't all happy. All previous memories were altered to make sure that she wouldn't have nightmares anytime soon. They were all altered to make life easier and as she began waking up her eyes fluttering she saw the face of her father, Severus Snape. She smiled saying a tired good morning before she fell back to sleep. She was still exhausted from not getting any sleep and now she just had everything altered.

As Albus took his leave Severus picked up the small child and carried her back to her room feeling happy knowing it had worked. All the bad dreams and sleepless nights to the panic attacks and spending all day inside were gone. The small sniffles all the time and silent tears that were left would also be gone. She would actually get to live a normal life as a normal child, just like Lily and Jade would have wanted.