Chapter Twenty-Five | London

Start from the beginning

"You've seen the carriage, now it's time for you to close your mouth."

Vivienne looked at Lady Torrington in confusing. "Yes, it's a spectacular carriage, but you mustn't behave like it is the first time you've see something as grand as this."

"But it is the first time," Vivienne said, by way of explanation.

Lady Torrington sighed—a noise that Vivienne was growing quite accustomed to hearing. "What am I going to do with you."

Vivienne knew it was one of those questions she wasn't supposed to answer. "Do you truly think Ginger will be alright?"

"The cat lived before you, didn't it?"

"Well yes, but she almost got killed by James' horse."

"His Grace's horse," Lady Torrington corrected.

"Pardon?"

"I do not want you to assume such familiarity once we get to London. Things are rather different there, as you will soon see. In the company of others, refer to him as Your Grace."

"And in private?"

Lady Torrington's eyes were very serious, "I don't believe there will be a moment in private. You should always be chaperoned. I do not care if it's James, make sure someone else is with you."

The carriage started moving, and Vivienne gripped the edges. "But we didn't always have a chaperon at Chalcott manor."

"My dear, the countryside is drastically different from London. Gossip spreads like wildfire and there is nothing more damaging than a debutante being caught in a scandal—which you will most certainly not be," Lady Torrington warned.

Vivienne understood the warning loud and clear. It was not as if her and the duke were close anyways. They would occasionally see each other around the manor, and he would ask her about Lady Torrington's lessons while Vivienne would question him about the estate. She was always surprised when he answered and told her the truth. As Lady Torrington explained, many gentlemen were firm in the fact that ladies should have nothing to do with their business and instead focus on the finer things in life, such as embroidery and spending their male relatives' money.

"What is the London house like?" Vivienne asked.

Lady Torrington had a wistful look on her face, "Ah, it's been quite the while since I visited, but it's a charming house in Mayfair."

"You don't stay with the duke during the season?"

"Oh, I don't come very often," Lady Torrington explained. "I usually stay at my own manor in the country."

"Is it one of the duke's properties?"

The dowager countess looked at her haughtily, "Of course not. The previous Earl of Torrington made sure to gift me one of his unentailed estates. It is not grand as Chalcott manor, but it suits my needs perfectly."

Vivienne opened her mouth, ready to ask Lady Torrington more questions about her estate and London but the dowager pulled out a book from underneath her ridicule. Vivienne was surprised, she'd never seen the dowager countess with the book.

As if noticing her stare, Lady Torrington's grey eyes pierced her. "There will be plenty of time to ask questions later, I want to finish this novel before reaching London."

Knowing that she had been effectively dismissed, Vivienne instead placed her nose at the window of the carriage. The green lands they passed by were quite breathtaking. She couldn't wait for London; she knew it would be as amazing as she expected. Her love awaited and she couldn't wait to find the gentlemen to spend the rest of her life with.