eight

It being the 90s, I had to change up the first date just a little. But it's basically the same thing.. you'll see. (And no, first date wasn't the bowling alley 😗)
-

So, I got a job.

My mom had started to pester me about where I was getting all of my money from so told her I had a job and didn't tell her because I didn't want her to worry about it.

'Okay, what's the job?'

I immediately thought about where Abe worked and just said the first thing that came to mind. 'The auto shop.'

Now I had to live up to it and actually get a job because she said she wanted to bring me lunch. Just great, right? Luckily Abe was cool with the owner and was able to talk with him so now here I was, rolling tires.

"So, you think about hitting the liquor store? I know you're like a big baller now or whatever." I smirked when he motioned to my watch. "A Rolex cuh?"

I shrugged. "Ya know me, dog. I'll be right back, hold up." I called out before going down the ramp and rolling the patched tire the the guys car. "Here it is man, your spares all good." I lifted it into his trunk and shook his hand before pulling the rag out of my pocket and wiping the growing sweat on my forehead.

Another thing I didn't really understand about this place was how it was December yet the air was dry as fuck and not one cloud was in sight. I don't remember California always being this damn hot.

"I don't know, it's kinda risky." I said to Abe, bringing the liquor store idea back up. "I feel like I'm making good money and wouldn't wanna jeopardize that on a couple bucks on the damn corner store, you feel me?"

He smacked his lips and huffed while cleaning some rims. "Yeah what about me? Yo homie? I don't have no product to push or homes to hit, at least not with anyone I trust. But I trust you." I sighed and leaned back against the wall when he placed his hands in a prayer. "Come on.. help a brotha out?"

"Man fine." He said a low 'dope' before focusing on the rims again. "But we gotta do it before this weekend, I got a date."

His head popped up quickly. "A date?" I nodded. "Oh shit, someone at school? I know the girls talking about your ass now 'cause of what happened with Zoë."

"Nah, nobody at school. It's Jhené." He stared at me for a long moment before breaking out into laughter. "What cuh?"

"Nothing man, you just one funny nigga." I waved him off and looked up when I saw a car start rolling into the driveway. "You got it?"

I nodded and started to walk down when someone climbed out of the passenger side but as soon as our eyes connected, I huffed. "Shit." I mumbled under my breath, forcing a smile when she walked toward me. "Hey, how can I help you?"

"What game you tryna pull?" She asked and stood in front of me, her eyes looking me up and down. "What you want from Jhené, huh?"

"What do you mean?" I asked politely, my guard rising when I saw someone step out of the drivers side. First thing I noticed was how tall this nigga was. Then I saw he had on Steelers gear and only the Rolling Twenties wore Steelers gear.

"Heard you been getting close with my sister." The guy said, walking up on me as he looked me up and down. "You that young nigga, right? Kung Fu, Karate kid? That's what they call you?"

I licked my lips nervously and crossed my arms when he continued the advance. "I don't know what you talking about, man." I said but stood my ground. What was he gonna do, fight me?