seven

Monday

"How's your cereal?"

I slowly spun the spoon around the full bowl, watching the little orange and green circles spin with it. Man, Devante's weird ass was always eating some Apple Jacks. Swear he had to have like fifty boxes at home or something.

"Hey.." I felt a hand grab my own so I looked up and saw my mom watching with, her eyebrows furrowed. "You don't have to go to school today if you don't want to."

I slowly nodded before letting the spoon rest against the bowl. "I'm alright. Kai!" I called out and my little brother came around the corner, his backpack in hand. "You want some cereal?"

"Yup." I slid the bowl to him and raised up.

"I'm gonna head out. See y'all later." My mom nodded softly with a frown as I leaned over and pressed a kiss to her forehead. "Love you, mama."

"Love you too, baby."

I playfully ruffled Kai's hair before leaving outside, the instant smell of cigarette smoke wafted into my nose. Charles. Seeing him sit on the steps alone, the small section beside him empty almost did something to me.

It felt weird not to hear their joined laughter or jokes in the morning.. everything was weird. I almost wanted to walk in the opposite direction. But I didn't.

"I never realized how boring smoking alone was til' a nigga ain't here." He joked with a weak laugh when I slowly walked over to him, taking the spot beside him but just a step down. I couldn't bring myself to sit in his spot.

A deep inhale had Charles sitting up slightly, his head shaking. "You heading to school?" He asked, glancing at me up and down. I nodded. "Do you wanna go to school?"

"Not really. But I don't wanna stay home." I said and he placed the cigarette between his lips before reaching for his pocket.

"Ima page you. Lunch time around twelve, right?" I nodded. "Alright I'll be there about one. Want a smoke?" He raised up a pack of cigarettes so I shrugged, never having smoked before. "Try it. Just inhale slow but don't swallow."

He handed me the stick so I placed it between my lips and inhaled slowly like he said. I tasted the rustic smoke roll over my tongue and push down my throat. It was good until I started to breathe, forgetting I had just inhaled smoke and that made a punch like feeling rack my lungs.

"Oh shit." I coughed out, my head shaking as I leaned over and patted my chest. "This shit hurts!"

"The first couple times yea but don't focus on the pain, Cuzzo. How's your head feel?" As soon as he said that, I did feel the lightheaded feeling start to make me feel sorts floaty. It was like drinking alcohol to the point where you're buzzed but not drunk. Just.. chill. "Cool right?"

I nodded slightly and looked down at the smoking cigarette. "Yeah I guess." I slowly raised it back to my lips and took another slow drag, my eyes closing when a sense of.. ease came over me?

"I don't smoke weed when I'm like, down and shit." I looked over at him as he shrugged and picked at the zipper on his jacket. "Makes shit worse for some reason, I don't know."

I held the cigarette back to him and he huffed to himself, seemingly thinking about something but I didn't have to ask. "I'll see you at one, bro." I said; he nodded and raised the pack that he still had in his hands. "Nah that's yours." He waved his hand.

"I got another pack. Here." He grabbed my hand and smacked it into my palm, then added a black zippo lighter. "Now scram." He teased and I shoved the items into my pocket while going down the stairs. "I'll be in the front of the school!"