Cybernetics

Depuis le début

Jammara sat down on her haunches and considered it. "Hmm, maybe. If I were to try, it would be difficult, but definitely not impossible. I could get my friends and work it out, but no guarantees it will work. But if we're really going to do it this way, leave behind some explosives."

"Okay," he took a few steps back. "Anakin, round everyone up and fill them in while I contact the others."

Anakin nodded. "Will do. C'mon, Snips."

~

The 501st and 212th loaded back into the cruisers and left the Gurlanins to see if they could take down the factory. Coruscant was going into lockdown and the Coruscant Guard were at their stations. Any Jedi and clones that were available made a beeline for Corrie.

Ahsoka was in her quarters gathering a few things while Rex was in his quarters tidying up his armor. He would've been in the MedBay with Cody, but Ahsoka had managed to convince him to let Cody rest. He had been scrubbing and scrubbing at a stubborn mark on one of his knees pads and it wasn't going away, so he gave up on it. He attached it back to his leg and walked over to his small mirror hanging on the wall. Rex looked at his reflection and rubbed the side of his face. He needed to shave and his hair could use a trim.

The door behind him hissed open and he figured Ahsoka was back, so he didn't bother looking. He heard footsteps coming up to him, but it wasn't Ahsoka's walking pace, it was Cody's. Rex spun on his heel and stared at Cody who was now standing in front of him.

Cody turned his head to glance behind him. "What, is there a ghost? Why are you looking at me like that?"

Rex exhaled sharply through his nose. "How, uh, how are you?"

"Me? I'm doing great. You?"

"Been better... You have your hands back."

"Yeah." Cody took off one of his gloves and flexed his fingers. "Synth skin's pretty wild, huh?"

Rex walked up to his brother and grabbed Cody's wrist to inspect the synthskin. "Yeah. It looks like you never saw that grenade. Can you feel things?"

"Yes. The darn med droid poked each of my fingers with a sharp thing that hurt. He said it was a good thing I could feel it, but I don't know, it's still a bit strange. Whether I can feel things or not."

"Hmm." Rex took a few steps back. "...what's it like?"

"Having no real hands?" Cody asked and Rex nodded. "It's... different. But I'll get used to it."

The door whished again and Ahsoka came into the room. She smiled when she saw Cody. "Hey, how are you doing?"

Cody huffed. "I'm fine. Why does everyone keep asking me that?"

"Because you went through a pretty traumatic experience. I doubt the average person would act calmly if what happened to you happened to them." Ahsoka said.

"Yeah, well, I'm not the average person, am I?"

"No, no you're not."

Cody turned to face Rex. "I just want everything to be normal. I don't want a big deal made about what happened to me."

Rex rose an eyebrow. "Are you— are you talking to me specifically or...?"

"Mainly you."

"Oh."

"But the extra candy wouldn't hurt."

Rex scoffed. "Yeah. You said normal, so no extra candy."

Ahsoka walked over to them. "Why do I not know about this candy? Do you have a secret stash?"

"Mm-Hmm, it's candy I've stolen from Fives and Kix."

"And you never told me?"

"No. Because it's mine."

"Rude."

Cody smirked. "Yeah, that sums him up." He put the glove back on. "All right, well, I have preparation stuff I need to do, so I will see you guys later. Probably when we reach Coruscant."

Rex nodded. "Just, take it easy."

"I'll try." Cody said as he walked out of the room.

Once he was out, Ahsoka walked over to Rex and slid her arms around his waist, resting her head on his chest. He, in turn, wrapped his arms around her. Standing there, Ahsoka wondered how long it would be before Cody would end up damaging his new hands by punching droids. She knew they were strong, but then again, they would need maintenance. If he ever needed help, he could always ask Anakin or other troopers who lost limbs and got them replaced. Ahsoka and Rex stayed like that for a while before she broke away, causing Rex's chin to rub up against one of her montrals.

"Ooh, scratchy." She said as she rubbed her hands against his cheek.

"I know, I haven't had time to shave lately. Probably won't for a while once we get to Coruscant." He sighed heavily. "I need to go."

Ahsoka nodded and gave Rex a kiss. "Me, too. And... if we don't have another private moment together, be safe."

Rex pressed his forehead against Ahsoka's and nodded. "I will. You be safe, as well... I love you."

"I love you, too. Now, come on." She said.