𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒆𝒕𝒆𝒆𝒏 , envious hearts

Start from the beginning

The Valentine sighs, "No, I am actually heading to prepare for the Assembly. Being a paid intern requires some work." She says, looking down at Landon's lips again.

"Well, boss lady, I guess I will see you then." Landon chimes, pecking Katherines lips one last time before walking away. Katherine watches, smiling to herself as Josie Saltzman walks over.

Josie raises a brow. "I'm sorry, but you and Landon are the most shocking couple to ever exist at the Salvatore school." She says. Her and Katherine weren't necessarily friends again, but they were on talking terms. Both of them had moved on from the previous years events, luckily. To Josie, it was still a bit weird, but she decided not to hold any grudges. Maybe, because deep down, Josie still felt for the Valentine. On Katherine's side, she never really cared if Josie hated her or not, as they were better off this way anyways.

Katherine shakes her head. "No. I think the most shocking couple would be you and Hope." The Valentine mumbles. Josie's eyes widen in confusion. Instead of saying more, Katherine struts off, leaving the siphoner by herself.

⋆⋅☆⋅⋆

Headmaster Vardemus stands at the podium. "This school has survived a difficult year. There were monsters and Triad, and frankly, the headmaster you trusted to keep you safe ended up putting you in more danger." Landon glanced at Katherine, who narrowed her eyes at Vardemus's remark. ""But this year will be different. It's high time this place ran with a little discipline and order. I expect you to work harder than ever before. To be rigorous, to push yourselves. To be perfect. Because I believe every one of you is extraordinary." Students begin to mumble, surprised by the words. "The students in this room have the power to literally change the world. To whom much is given, much is required, and I am requiring of you to be better than humans ever could. Because the day is coming when we will step out of the shadows, when you will no longer hide yourselves." Professor Vardemus says.

"Because the future is supernatural." He slams his staff onto the ground, a wave of magic flying through the room. Classmates begun to clap. Lizzie and Josie look around, awkward and unimpressed, clapping slowly as the Headmaster walks up to the podium. "To that end, I would like to award our Salvatore Medal of Freedom to the students who single-handedly defeated Malivore, Mr. Landon Kirby and Ms. Katherine Valentine."

Landon looked at the vampire girl next to him, who smirked wildly as she stood, taking his hand in hers. The students watched as the couple approached the front of the room. Classmates clapped wildly for the Phoenix and the resurrected vampire. Vardemus put the medal around Landons neck. Landon looked at Katherine, seeing nothing but pure joy for him on her face. It was a new look for the girl. Maybe, after all this time, Landon was finally able to break into the cold heart of Katherine Valentine.

⋆⋅☆⋅⋆

In class, Landon and Katherine sat next to one another. "How does the existence of dragons and dryads and phoenixes change what we know about magical biology?" Vardemus began. Katherine leaned against her hand, tapping a pencil on the table. "It could be the discovery of a lifetime."

The vampire girl scoffs. "He is such a pompous ass." She mumbles. Josie, who sits in the table in front of them, begins the giggle.

Jed leans over. "At least he hasn't tried to kill us all yet." He whispers. Suddenly, Josie's giggles stop, and she slowly sinks in her chair. Noticing this, Katherine glances at him, narrowing her eyes.

"Was I talking to you, dog boy?" She snips, causing Jed to glare at her. "I don't think I was."

Landon glanced down at his own paper, seeing a drawing appear. He looked at Katherine, who also looked down in curiosity. It was a drawing of, well, him. Katherine looked up slowly, narrowing her eyes at the same small brunette witch from before. Jealousy rises in the Valentine's chest. Landon wasn't interested in the girl, no, but it angered Katherine that this pathetic witch thought she could try something so bold. She wondered how someone could be so stupid to mess with the Katherine Valentine. So, as she twirled her finger in her hair, Katherine tilted her head as she whispered. "Invidia."