eighteen

//forewarning: apologies if there's any formatting issues, im uploading these chapters in a way i haven't tried before, so if you come across any just let me know :] enjoy

treading through the town to get to the castle was both tiresome and humiliating for george.

As expected, the entirety of the kingdom was made aware that there was a potential murderer scurrying about right under their noses. It was a safety thing. Yet to George, it was more of an “If you see him, immediately run and don’t look back” type of thing.

Judging eyes followed him every step he took, his arms restrained behind him. Two guards in the front, two in the back, Charlie at the very front leading the group. George felt it was entirely unnecessary, so he watched his feet as they walked and tried to ignore the events. What he wouldn’t do to somehow turn to the dust like what was at his feet at that moment.

Even though it was not proven that George had indeed been the one to kill Prince Alastair, every citizen clung to the chance that he was. Not knowing was scary, they didn’t want that. They were fearful of the unknown. It was nonsensical, but George was well aware that it wasn’t looking great for him, and most likely wasn’t going to in the near future either.

He was hoping that he’d receive a fair trial. One that he could actually talk for himself in rather than being immediately sentenced to imprisonment or execution in like how most ended up.

As much as he hated himself for it, he didn’t mind the idea of getting executed that much. He didn’t want to die if he didn’t have to, but in that case, he would. He wouldn’t have to struggle anymore.

Worried murmurs and disgusted scoffs filled the thick, murky air, every corner turned followed by a surprised gasp. Was it really all that astonishing that a suspect was being taken into custody? They were acting like they had seen him kill the prince with their own eyes. He wanted to ignore them so badly, but when every person they walked by sneered at him, it was hard not to acknowledge them.

He wanted to lash out and scream that he didn’t do it, but he knew
nobody would believe him. Why would they?

The remainder of their miniature journey through a few neighborhoods and through the castle gates took a bit longer than expected. It was quite insufferable seeing as Charlie wouldn’t stop cracking clever but unendurable puns at every chance he came across. It lightened the mood, but George didn’t really appreciate it all that much. Sure, the smiles were nice, but they weren’t going to last. He didn’t want transparent distractions.

“Morning, Sam. We’ve returned with the suspect, George Davidson.” Charlie stepped away from the four guards surrounding an awkward George to converse with a gate guard. “Permission to access the throne hall?”

After the gate guard said his hellos and allowed the group to enter, it had really hit George that he was in some deep trouble. The inside of the grounds was very pleasant and serene, but his thoughts weren’t.

George’s mind raced with endless uncertainties battling against surrender, undoubtedly contrasting against the gentle arrays of flowers lining the stone pathways and the marvelous stone pillars at the castle entrance. The palace was so gently elegant, it was a shame that so many had succumbed to its horrors.

The two pairs of guards that had previously been preventing George from bolting had now marched off to a different location, leaving Charlie and George alone. George knew there would be no use in making a run for it. His wrists were bound with scratchy rope that left them burned and he had no idea where he was. He’d be seized almost instantly with no remorse for his life.

Red would spill against the white of the castle within minutes.

Charlie led George through seemingly endless hallways. It was pleasant. George was living his potential last day wandering through a lovely castle… all the way to his inevitable, unjustly death. He knew his mother would’ve enjoyed it if it didn’t involve the whole death factor. It smelled faintly of rosemary and lemon.