Chapter 21 - Mudblood and Furry Friends

Start from the beginning

"What's that odd clicking noise?" Fred called as they sped around the stadium. Betelgeuse peered down to the stands. A young Gryffindor was taking picture after picture, the sound strangely magnified in the deserted pitch. "Look this way, Harry! This way!" he shrieked.

"Who's that?" Fred asked, having spotted the noisy boy.

"I do not know," Betelgeuse responded. "But Wood does not look happy."

They saw Wood, frowning, skim through the air toward Harry.

"Bloody hell," George exclaimed beside her. He was watching the Slytherin team enter the pitch, broomsticks in their hands. Betelgeuse observed Wood shoot to the ground. 

"I booked the field for today! We'll see about this!" She heard him holler before harshly landing.

Betelgeuse, Fred, and George followed their Captain.

"Flint!" Wood bellowed at the Slytherin Captain. "This is our practice time! You can clear off now!"

"Plenty of room for all of us, Wood," Flint replied, smirking.

Angelina and Katie had come over, too. The three Gryffindors chasers were the only females on the field. Alicia has been sitting on the stands, watching her team practise.

"But I booked the field!" Wood protested, positively spitting with rage.

"Ah," Flint mocked. "But I've got an especially signed note here from Professor Snape. 'I, Professor S. Snape, give the Slytherin team permission to practice today using the Quidditch field, owing to the need to train their new Seeker.'"

"You've got a new Seeker? Who?" Wood asked, distracted.

From behind the larger figures came a seventh, a smaller boy, with a smirk plastered on his pale, sharp face. Draco Malfoy.

"Aren't you Lucius Malfoy's son?" Angelina asked. Betelgeuse nodded beside her.

"Funny you should mention Draco's father," Flint replied as the whole Slytherin team smirked. "Let us show you the lavish gift he's made to the team."

All seven of them held out their broomsticks. Seven highly polished Nimbus Two Thousand and One gleamed under the early morning sun. "Very latest model. Only came out last month," Flint said casually. "I believe it surpasses the old Two Thousand series by a significant amount. As for the old Cleansweeps" — he smirked nastily at Fred and George, who were both clutching Cleansweep Fives — "sweeps the board with them."

There was a moment of silence as none of the Gryffindor team could think of anything to say. Betelgeuse glared at Draco, who was consciously avoiding her gaze.

"Oh, look," Flint stated. "A field invasion." Betelgeuse turned in the direction he was watching, Ron and Hermione were crossing the grass approaching the two teams.

"What's he doing here?" Ron gestured to Draco.

"I'm the new Slytherin Seeker, Weasley," he replied smugly. "We were just admiring the brooms my father has bought our team."

Ron gaped.

"Good, aren't they?" Draco continued smoothly. "Oh, perhaps the Gryffindor team will be able to raise some gold and get new brooms, too. You could raffle off those Cleansweep Fives; I expect a museum would bid for them." The Slytherin team howled with laughter.

Betelgeuse stayed silent. 

What a child.

"At least no one on the Gryffindor team had to buy their way in," Hermione interjected sharply. "They got in on pure talent."