"Oh gross!" He said to her talking with her mouth full and Flossie laughed at this.

She leaned into him, opening her mouth. "What's gross?" She giggled. "This?"

Eli leaned away from her, not wanting to look at the crumbled up cookie. "Yeah it's nauseating," he complained, shoving her away from him lightly.

Flossie pulled a fist, "hey," she started jokingly. "You better watch who your pushing. I know karate now."

The boy rolled his eyes at the girl, cheeks turning pink from how hard they were laughing. When she finally gave up, and swallowed the piece of the cookie she bit off, Flossie stared at Eli for a second in admiration.

"You're like the only person that's ever gotten what I'm about," she stated honestly, dusting the crumbs off her hands.

Eli flushed at this, blinking hard. Here they were again in another one of these situations, both too scared to make a move.

"You remember when we said we'd tell each other everything?" Flossie asked, tilting her head to one side, her hair tumbling in cascades of brown.

Eli nodded, "yeah."

"Did you mean it?" She asked curiously.

He gulped, "of course."

"Even if it's something really, really horrible?" Flossie questioned, toying with the sleeves of her sweatshirt anxiously. "I mean it might not be that horrible, because it might not matter, but if it does matter than it could be pretty horrible."

Eli leaned in curious, "okay, Flo, you're killing me. You got to tell me now," he pressed on.

Flossie took a deep breath, feeling her stomach turn nauseous. She thought about what Sensei Lawrence said — Cobra Kai's strike first.

"I- I don't know," she said not convinced, and Eli interlocked his fingers, rolling his eyes.

"Do you remember—" Eli started. "Do you remember  when we were in gym class in eighth grade and those guys stole my clothes and I had to hide in the locker room for three periods until a teacher came looking for me? Do you think I wanted to tell you that?"

Flossie sighed, knowing he was right, and rested her elbow on the table. "Fine, fine," she caved. "I get it."

Eli nodded, waiting for her to say whatever she needed to say. He watched her compose herself, chewing at her lip nervously. "Okay, so I've never said this to anyone— so you can't laugh, cause Eli, I swear to god if you laugh—"

"I won't," he shook his head furiously.

"I-I," Flossie paused for a second, shutting her eyes. Strike first, strike hard. "I like you, Eli. Like more than a friend."

Eli felt his chest concave, and he was frozen still by her confession. Was this really happening? No it couldn't be. The thing he has been waiting for since second grade was finally playing out, and all he could do was sit there like an idiot biting his tongue.

Flossie sat for a few moments, waiting for him to reply, but he just sat there dumbstruck. She shook her head, tears building up in her eyes of embarrassment. "Never mind," she said, quickly standing up and grabbing her things. "Just forget it."

The boy couldn't say anything, he was in shock, and the girl didn't look back once, though it was hard.

Eli was pissed at himself all night. Why didn't he do anything? Why didn't he say something? He wanted to go over to her house, but dreaded that embarrassment.

That night Eli didn't come through her window, and instead texted Demetri for some kind of advice.

Demetri🧝🏼‍♂️: You're kidding right? You've been waiting for this moment since elementary school and you didn't say anything.
Demetri🧝🏼‍♂️: You're being more loser-y than normal.

Eli📚: I don't know. I just kind of froze. What was I supposed to say?

Demetri🧝🏼‍♂️: Oh, I don't know, how about "hey Flossie, I'm really glad you said that because I've been too much of a wimp to tell that I've liked you too for the past eight years"?

Eli📚: Okay. I get it. I messed up. Now what?

Demetri🧝🏼‍♂️: Um, call her and make it right obviously? But don't kiss her.

Eli📚: What? Why not?

Demetri🧝🏼‍♂️: Cause all girls want their first kiss to be somewhere romantic, like Disney World or Toronto.

Eli📚: Whatever.
Read at 9:57 PM