Chapter Twenty-Six

"It's hopeless." mutters Tony as he sinks into a chair.

Everyone is sat in the kitchen, eating their breakfast as I walk in. Tony's palm flies to him head as he begins rubbing his temples, a headache knocking against his skull. Nat sits at the table, drinking a coffee as she flips through one of Stephen's books.

"You were the one who made the promise." comments Steve, taking a sip from his mug as he places the book he was reading on the coffee table. Tony glares at him before standing up from the chair and heading for the coffee machine.

"Yeah well I didn't think it would be this hard." mutters Tony as he rubs the back of his head and takes a sip from his coffee cup. Despite the caffeine flowing though his veins, he still looks exhausted, bags under his eyes and his skin pale.

"Didn't think it would be hard?" asks Clint, taking a seat beside Nat and pulling another one of Stephen's books closer to him. "You're talking about bringing someone back from the dead Tony not fixing a car. It's not going to be easy."

Wanda and Vision come into the room carrying another of Stephen's books. After his death, I had brought them here, determined to find something in them that would bring him back. But so far, no luck.

"Me and Vis may have finally found something that can bring him back." I stop what I'm doing and look up at Wanda who has a huge smile on her face. She passes me the book in her hand, turning it to the correct page before handing me it.

"What do we need to do?" I mumble as I begin reading the page in front of me. Wanda and Vision exchange a look before Vision steps forwards.

"According to Stephen's book, you need to reconnect his soul to his body." Vision begins pacing back and forth across the kitchen as he explains. "It requires a great deal of power however we just may have that power right in this room."

I look up at Vision as I finish reading. "Look, everyone in this room is very powerful in some shape or form but the amount of power this states we need. It can't be found within any single one of us."

"And that is exactly to what I was coming to. Whilst a single person in this room may not posses that much power, there are two individuals who have similar powers." Vision looks at me before looking at Wanda. "If you and Wanda combine your powers, you should have enough power for the spell to work."

"Then what are we waiting for?" Peter stands up from where he is, buzzing with energy. I knew I should've given him decaf coffee. "Let's do this!"

"Okay, who gave the kid coffee?" asks Tony as he picks up Peter cup, throwing it in the dishwasher.

"Peters right, what are we waiting for?" I say as I stand up, heading for the door. Everyone follows me to where Stephen's body is being kept in his coffin. Wanda and Vision prepare the room as I look over the spell once more.

"So how exactly does this work?" asks Clint as he walks into the room and across to me and Tony.

"Wanda and Abi combine their powers, perform this spell and then boom." He claps his hands together, smiling as he looks at Clint. "Strange is back."

"Sounds easy enough." smirks Clint.

"Yeah it's not." I say as I walk across to Stephen's body. Wanda comes to my side, squeezing my hand reassuringly as she watches tears well up in my eyes. Smiling back at her, I grip into her hand tighter before raising my other hand. Mirroring my actions, Wanda raised her hand and closes her eyes as we both begin the spell. After several moments, our power radiates through the room and we finish the spell.

"Why isn't it working?" questions Steve as he steps closer to Stephen's body. Opening my eyes, I satre down at Stephens's still lifeless body, my vision blurring. My hands begin to shake as panic rises in my chest.

"I don't know." I blurt out, grabbing the book and double checking it. "We're doing everything right." Tony comes across to my side, taking the book and putting it back down on the table. Taking my hands in his, he looks me in the eyes.

"Take a deep breath, calm down and then try again." I nod as I take a deep breath, pushing down all my panic. Truning to Wanda, I take her hand before starting the spell again. Nothing happens. Suddenly Vision bursts into the room, distracting all of us.

"Sorry to interupt but Fury called." I step away from Stephen's body, walking towards the window and turning my back to everyone so that they can't see my tears. "There's been another Hydra attack and he needs us all."

"I think I'll stay here." I mumble as I turn to face everyone. "I'll only mess up if I come with you all." Tony walks across to me, placing his arm around my shoulders.

"Then I'll stay here aswell."

"No Tony. Fury needs all of you." I look up at him, smiling weakly, "Besides I'll be okay here on my own." It's not like I'm going to do much is it?

"Okay if your sure." I nod reassuringly. "Fine I'll go. We wont be long." Tony plants a kiss on my forehead as everyone leaves the compound, heading off to wherever Fury is. My stomach rumbles as I pick up Stephen's book and head for the kitchen. As I reach the freezer, I open the door and look at the selection of food in front of me. Hmm.... What to eat? I spot a large tub of ice-cream in the corner and pull it out. Ice-cream. Yes, it's great for when you feel terrible.

After having eaten half the tub, I place the spoon in the dishwasher, the ice-cream back in the freezer and pick up Stephen's book before heading for my room. When I open my door, I stop as I see a figure stood at the window. Although the room is dark, I can make out the figure's features and I know exactly who it is.

"Hello Abi." he whispers.

"Stephen? Is that really you?" I mumble as I stand, frozen in the doorway.

"The one and only." he chuckles. Dropping his book on the floor, I sprint towards the figure. His arms open as my arms crash around his neck. Gripping each other tightly, I place my head on his shoulder, letting the tears soak his shirt. After what feels like forever, we finally pull away from each other and I look into his eyes. Stephen. My Stephen is finally back. And this time, I'm never letting him go