Chapter Nine

Pounding in my head, my body begins to stir as my eyelids flutter open, light flooding into them. A growl tears from my stomach, a small sigh escaping my throat which burns from dehydration.

How long have I been out?

Pulling in what strength I have, I push myself upwards, my abdomen burning whilst I'm send flying back to the bed. The blood stained bandage that clung to my body before has now been replaced by a fresh one, still red stained but this time with dried blood. Cool metal digs into my wrists where the narrow straps that had clung to my body before were now metal.
There's no chance of me escaping these and Johann knows that. An assurance most likely, that I won't kill him in his sleep.

A sudden bang from outside catches my attention, my head whipping up while my eyes land on the ajar window. More clatters follow along with grunting, gunshots and screams. Curiosity getting the better of me, I use all my force to knock the frail bed over, the frame clattering to the floor as it breaks underneath me, the metal straps still clinging to my wrists but no longer restricting my movement. Why I never tried that before I will never know.

Slowly, I hobble across to the window, my body collapsing against the wall once I reach it. I stretch my hand up in an attempt to reach the window from where I'm now curled up in a ball on the floor, hoping to catch someone's attention. My eyes trail their way down to my stomach again where fresh blood begins to deep through the bandages. Whoever keeps stitching this wound is doing a terrible job. My head begins to spin, the room around me blurring slightly. At the same time, my whole body collapses against the floor whilst my muscles weaken.

Shouting from down the hall catches my attention as I fight to keep my eyes wide open. A soft murmur escapes my throat when I try to shout for help, the amount of blood I've lost over the past few days finally weakening my body. Pushing on the wound in an attempt to stop the bleeding, I drag myself towards the cell door, cramp getting the better of me halfway their and causing my to curl into a tighter ball.

"Don't tell me what to do!" screams a familiar voice, their footsteps loud whilst they echo through the wide hall outside my door. Another set of footsteps join them, stopping just outside the room my cell is in, their figure blurred by the window. "You don't even care half as much about Abi as you do yourself." screams the voice again, one of the men jabbing the other in the chest hard. I attempt to shout for help only for no sound to come out. "You're only here to make yourself look good."

"That's where you're wrong Tony" argues the other man loudly before stepping closer to the door. Tony? As in my Tony? The two figures step closer together again, on of them towering over the other whilst I begin dragging myself closer to my cell door again. I have to get to Tony. Get home. "I care about her more than I care about myself and that's why I came." the voice admits as I come to a halt, listening to the voice intently. "To help her."

Silence invades the air, the two men pausing as one of them steps away, their shoulders rising and falling in the other side of the glass. "Just stay away from her before you end up hurting her." demands Tony, his footsteps fading into the distance at the same time the door to my cell flies open.

"Abi?" whispers a familiar voice as I look up from the shadows I hide in, my hand still clutching the wound on my stomach whilst I flip onto my back. The voices footsteps grow closer as Stephen emerges from behind the door, his eyes canning the cell in front of him.

"Stephen?" I whisper, my voice barely audible from the shadows I hide in. A gasp of horror tears from his throat, his hand flying to his mouth at the same time he rushes to the door of my cell. Using all his strength, Stephen pulls on the bars, rust falling to the floor but nothing else moving.

Stepping away from the cells, Stephen slides his sling ring onto his fingers before forming a portal in front of him, the orange sparks flying to the floor around him. Moments after he's stepped in, he emerges inside my cell, just a few feet from me. "Let's get you out of here." he suggest, rushing to my side and culling my head in his hand.

Relief taking over my body, I throw my arms around his neck and pull him towards me, his hands landing either side of my body whilst he wobbles slightly before regaining balance. Slowly, I feel his hands wrap around my body, the blood from my wound seeping into his shirt without him noticing.

"I missed you" I whisper, pulling away from him and smiling weakly at him, my cheeks hurting from such a simple movement. His eyes soften as his shoulders relax, a smile creeping onto his face.

"I missed you too Abi." he assures me before his eyes land on the wound on my abdomen, blood seeping through the bandage faster than before as I swallow the metal taste in my mouth. His hands fly to the wound as he scoops me up, lifting me onto my feet as he wraps my arm around his shoulders and supports my weight. "We've got to get you to a hospital."

As we emerge from the portal on the other side of my cell bars, I notice the faint outline of a figure in the shadows. I stop walking forwards, my body freezing. A gun. Pointed directly towards Stephen who's back is to the man. As the man fires, my instincts kick in. I use all my power to push Stephen to the side, his body colliding with the floor just at the moment the bullet collides with my skin.