Chapter Eighteen

Cold air whips against my bare skin as my feet collide with the front door step. Rain patters down on the concrete as my eyes scan the street in the hope of finding Stephen. When my eyes land upon him, a small smile of relief washes over me.

"Stephen wait!" I shout after him, ignoring the rain as I run down the steps and out into the street, chasing him down. His pace slows slightly but he doesn't stop. "Please just let me explain." I beg him causing him to stop in his tracks, his face tight as he turns to me. His now wet clothes cling tightly to his body, his hair flat in his head as the rainwater hammers down upon the two of us.

"I don't want to hear your excuses Abi!" He hisses, his eyes cold as they scan my body, my dress now soaked as it clings tightly to the curves of my body. Shaking his head, Stephen begins to turn his back to me as he begins walking away from me. "Whatever there was between us, it's over."

"What?" I shout, following him further down the street, not giving up this easily. My nose begins to tingle, either from the tears that sting in my eyes or the cold rain, as I reach for him only to grab empty air. "Why?"

"Because Abi!" He screams, his voice echoing off the walls as he turns back to face me, his body towering over me as I flinch backwards from his raised hand. I know he won't hit me but... I can't help it. Noticing this, Stephen drops his hand and sighs audibly. "Tony was right. We don't work together because we just hurt each other."

"I don't care what Tony thinks." I hiss, steering forwards until I'm in his view and forcing him to look at me. Reaching upwards, I place my hand gently against his cheek and smile up at him softly. "It's my life and I get to decide who stays in it not Tony."

Sighing, Stephen lifts his hand and curls his fingers around my hand, pulling it away from his face and letting it fall by my side. "You can't decide whether I choose to stay in it or not though." Refusing to meet my eyes, he turns around and hesitates briefly before forming a portal in the middle of the street.

"No but I sure as hell can fight for us!" I snap, pushing past him and stepping in the way of the portal. My jaw locks tightly and my hands form fists as I look up at him.

"What us?" He asks me, his voice a shout as he steps backwards, not wanting to stand too close to me. Biting my lip, I blink rapidly in an attempt to hold back the tears they threaten to overspill. "Because I don't see an us. And I don't think you do either." he mumbles, his head dropping as his eyes land upon the pavement beneath his feet.

"Don't I?" I whisper, my eyes stinging even more as I take a drop shaky breath. I don't know how he has the never to say that. Shaking my head, I bite the inside on my mouth and scoff lightly. "All I think about everyday is you. Your on my mind when I wake up, when I'm training and I can't concentrate when you're in a room with me because all I can focus on is you. When you're stood near me, there's nothing I wan't more in this world than to run up to you, grab you and never let go because I feel safe with you. So don't say that I don't see a future for us because that's all I see Stephen." I demand, pushing past him, my shoulder knocking hard into his as this time I begin to walk away, Stephen following me as I head for the compound doors.

"Then why kiss Loki?" he shouts faster me causing me to halt in my place. My head becomes light and my eyes water even more as I stand frozen in place like a deer in headlights.

"That's what you think happened?"  I whisper with my back still to him as a single tear falls down my face, the rain soaking into my clothes as they become heavy. When there's no response from Stephen, I spin around and face him, my teary eyes landing upon his own. "He forced himself upon me." I snap, my voice bite as I begin walking closer to him, my face numb as his face softens in shock, his lips parting as he stares at me. "I didn't kiss him okay?"