Chapter 4

Rayne had fallen asleep on the bed when Kol had returned once again to help her learn how to get used to always being able to syphon power from her necklace. He knocked on the door lightly, hoping it would wake her up. He sighed when it didn't work as he had hoped, walking into the room and laying his hand on her shoulder. "Rayne, it's time to wake up," he said softly, shaking her lightly. She shifted slightly, her eyes opening a little to see him standing over her.

"What is going on?" She asks him.

"Did you forget about your training already?" He asked her, smirking.

She let out a grumble as she pulled the blanket over her head. "Why do we have to do this so late?"

"Because it is when the moon is at its highest and when you will be at your strongest as well," he explains to her. "Come along now, the sooner we start the sooner you will be able to return to bed."

She groaned as she sat up, and uncovered herself before climbing out of the bed. He showed her over to the table which now held multiple different books, one set out in the middle. "Grimiores," she said as she looked at the covers of the different books. The book in the middle was titled with runes ᛗᛁᚲᚨᛖᛚᛋᛟᚾ. "Mikaelson," she muttered as she traced the symbols.

"You can read that?" He asked her, surprised. She looked at him for a moment before looking back at the book, understanding his surprise.

"I... I just know what it says," she tells him, confused herself. She touched the cover once again, but before she was able to open it, the cover flew open on its own, pages flipping through until it finally rested on one page. Kol just watched her waiting for her reaction. She looked at the page that it had landed on, the same style of runes that decorated the cover also covered this page.

"Sjelevenn," she muttered off the title in a language she had never spoken before, though understanding what she said.

"You speak in tongues," Kol said, not realizing what she was saying at first. "Nordic."

Rayne looked down and began to read more. "Den andre halvparten. Ikke ofte funnet i et normalt menneskes levetid, men for et vesen som jeg har skapt, har de sjansen til å finne mange livstider." (One's other half. Not often found in the lifetime of a normal human, but for a being as I have created, they have the chance of many lifetimes to find.)

Kol looked at her. "Sjelevenn. Why did it land on that page?" He questioned her with a shout.

She jumped slightly. "I... I don't know. It did it on its own."

"Continue reading." He demanded, he wasn't well versed in their old language as they had migrated to America before he had been born.

She looked back at the page, finding where she had left off at. "For et av barna mine å finne sin sjelevenn, betyr det utrolig styrke å komme til dem. Krefter fra deres menneskelige liv så vel som livet som jeg har gitt dem. De vil føle et sterkt trekk mot personen. Personen kan ikke føle dette like bra hvis de er et menneske av noe slag. Hvis den ene dør, følger den andre snart." (For one of my children to find their soulmate means incredible strength to come to them. Powers from their human lives as well as life that I have given them. They will feel a strong pull towards the person. The person may not feel this as well if they are a human of any sorts. If one dies, the other will follow soon.)

She looked up at Kol as she finished reading the page. "What does that mean?" Kol was silent as he moved and sat on one of the chairs. "Kol, do you know why it is on this page?" He still remained silent. "Kol!"

The door to the bedroom opened and Klaus walked into the room, smirking. "In shock little brother?" Klaus walked over to the table, looking at the book that was laying open. "Mother knew everything about us before creating us. It is all in this book." He turned to Kol who still remained silent but was looking at his brother. "Not one bit of it has been a lie yet."

"What does this mean?" Rayne once again spoke up.

"He feels the connection to you but does not want to admit it. But there is a side to him that wants those old powers back," Klaus smirked as they both looked at Kol. His body language was enough to tell them both that Klaus was right.

"That's enough for tonight," Kol said as he stood. "She can read what is written, that's a better start than what we thought we had." He started moving towards the door to leave.

"Kol stop," Rayne said, wanting to hear what he had to say about what he felt. He continued to head towards the door but so did she as she grabbed his arm to stop him. "I want you to tell me what you feel is going on."

Kol looked at her for a moment, his eyes telling her that he wanted to talk about it, but a glance at Klaus said he was the reason why he was not telling her.

"Klaus, would you please leave," she says, not looking back at the hybrid.

"No, I think that I would like to stay," he replies to her.

"I only ask nicely once," she warned as she closed her eyes. They clearly did not know what training she had.

"I never ask," he countered. His mouth opened to say something else but he was unable to say anything else as the door flew open and Klaus was through out of the room by an unseen force.

Kol stared at her. "Did you do that?" he asked.

"Yes," she said as the door slammed shut. "My grandmother did teach me some things."

"Why haven't you escaped yet if your abilities are so advanced compared to what we believed?" Kol wondered out loud.

"I have nowhere else to go, I have no reason to run and fight for my life. I have no one the cares enough to even know if I'm alive or not," She explained to him as she let go of his arm and went to sit in one of the chairs. "Do you want to explain now?"

Kol sat across from her, trying to think of a way to explain it. "Something pulled me to check on you when I caused you to wreck. I normally wouldn't have. Something pulled me to check on you and to help you. Something caused me to not just kill you when Klaus let it slip of what we were and we couldn't compel you. Something has been pulling me to know more about you and to keep you safe."

"Then why were you in such shock when I read what was written in the book," she asks him.

"Because I live a dangerous life. It's no life for you to be a part of." He explains.

"I'm not as weak as everyone believes that I am," she tells him, sighing. Everyone always thought that she was just a weak little girl.

"But you've never had to endure the things that we have."

"I can't stay hidden from the world forever. My grandmother passed away not even five minutes before the wreck and you and Klaus found me. What does that tell you about what my future looks like?"

"You are a powerful witch that will be sought after by all," he said as he looked at her with realization. No matter if she was with him or on her own, she would always be in danger. She at least had him and his family to protect her while she was with them.

"Do you still want to ask questions to get to know me?" She asked him, letting on that she knew what he had been doing when he would bring her food.

"Well of course I would like to," he tells her grinning. A thought crosses his mind causing his smile to fall. "You don't feel the same pull that I do?" She shook her head as she looked down. She heard Kol take a deep breath. "No problem there, I'll just have to win your heart the old fashion way."

Rayne laughed at a thought that popped into her mind. "And what decade might that be from?" she asked teasingly.

Kol smirked. "I guess I'll just have to try each until I find one that works best."