Instead of making a smart remark at Malfoy, Harry simply sat down in his seat next to him, and began writing his notes. If his attention weren't so fixed on anything other than Malfoy, he might've seen the other boy looking up at him, nearly an apologetic expression on his face, obviously shaken by the lack of reaction on Potter's part.

But Harry didn't see this, and when the end of class was signaled, he packed his bag quietly, avoiding any interaction with the other. Malfoy was displeased with this turn of events. Potter was supposed to react. He was supposed to get mad, and they'd hurl insults at each other, like they always did.
Draco wasn't used to Potter taking it without any sort of objection.

He didn't like it.

Harry kept his gaze down at dinner, still avoiding Draco's eyes. The hall buzzed with rumors about what might've happened to cause the "rivals" to be so... melancholy. Draco continued to look over at the Gryffindor table, but each time he did, Harry seemed fascinated with his food.

When dinner was dismissed, Harry said a quick goodbye to his friends, and hurried down to the dungeons, likely hoping to get there before Snape in order to avoid any sort of tardy accusations. Draco closely followed suit, staying silent as he and Potter walked nearly side by side.

Their professor was already in the classroom when they arrived, but he made no comment about either of them being late. Harry took a seat on one side of the room, Draco opting for one as far away as possible from the other boy. Snape sighed at the two.

"I have school board meetings to attend. Against my better judgement, I will assume that the two of you are mature enough to not kill each other while I'm gone. If either one of you is dead when I return, I'll be extremely disappointed. You'll remain here until my meetings are finished. I'd rather not have to cover up a homicide." He waved his cloak, making a show of walking out and slamming the door.

Immediately following Snape's departure, Harry laid his head on the wooden desk, closing his eyes.

Malfoy, however, decided to keep his eyes open, mainly for the purpose of staring at the messy black hair protruding from the gap between Harry's forearms.

"Merlin, Potter. Have you never heard of hair gel?" Malfoy snickered. To his dismay, there was only a grunt in response.
"What is it? Scared, Potter?" Draco attempted a sort of joke, which seemed to have hit its mark. Harry turned his head so his ear was resting on his arms, looking at Malfoy with a goofy grin.

"You wish, Malfoy." Neither of them were quite sure how it happened, but they laughed. They laughed together and it wasn't a mean or taunting kind of laugh, it was genuine joy from the two boys, something they never thought they'd experience together.

"We were so dumb, weren't we?" Draco said, shaking his head.

"Yeah, we were pretty stupid." Harry adjusted himself so his cheek was resting on his palm.

"Look, Potter, I'm sorry about what I said earlier. I don't actually want you to die." Draco said timidly.

"Could've fooled me." Harry laughed again, but it still wasn't in efforts to provoke the other boy.
"It's okay. I know you didn't mean it. I think we've both said some things we don't mean." Harry looked at Malfoy expectantly, waiting for a response.

"Hm... I think I've chosen my words fairly carefully over the years... Quite bold of you to assume I've said anything I regret." Draco nearly smacked himself at how he'd replied. Potter was trying to be nice, and he'd just gone and messed it all up.

"Malfoy, you just apologized for something you said. I think that warrants a feeling of regret, don't you?" Harry wasn't phased by Malfoy's (unintentional) attempt to rile him up, simply continuing their civil conversation.