Miracle!

Chapter 15

After returning from the graveyard, Asad recited Surah Yaseen in Zohra's honour. The people who came to bid her farewell started leaving to their respective home.

But Asad didn't understand why Hidayah's inlaws weren't present at such a crucial time. He decided to ask his mother later.

He saw Yahya coming from his room and taking a seat in a dining chair. He looked at him and nudged Asad to sit beside him.  "Why weren't you picking our calls, Asad? Everybody here were worried for you". Yahya asked politely.

"I'm sorry. I was just preoccupied". Asad said lowering his gaze.

"I can understand Asad. you're handling a multinational company there all alone. But never take your loved ones for granted. We never know which day will be our last". Yahya sympathiesed.

"Yes uncle. And I assure you, it won't repeat". Asad said feeling guilty.

"That's okay beta". Yahya said patting his back.

"Yahya! Let's go to masjid and offer our Zuhr prayer there. Asad, come along ". Sadique suggested.

"Yes Abba". Asad said and every male left for masjid. And the ladies offered their namaz at their apartment praying for the betterment of their beloved Dadi.

"Hida beta. Please eat something. You're starving since yesterday. Khala wouldn't like you starving like this. At least for her sake, eat something". Rafeeqa said keeping a hand on Hidayah's head.

"I'll make some toast for you". Anam suggested.

"I don't feel like eating Masi". Hidayah said on the verge of tears.

"I know beta. Past few days has been the difficult ones. May Allah give you enough sabr to deal with everything". Rafeeqa said praying for his only niece who is shattered due to the sudden change of events in her life 

•••

"For how long you're staying? ". Rafeeqa asked her son when she was pressing his shirt. Hidayah had gone to office on the insistence of her Abba. Because the more, she stay at home, the more she's going to miss her dadi. It was better if she indulged herself in some work and office was the best option. Sadique would drop her home and also he will sometimes take her to office.

"A week". Asad said looking into some mails.

"Why were you ignoring our calls, Asad? ". Rafeeqa asked once she was done pressing his shirts.

"I I was busy Ammi". Asad said stealing glances.

"Such a liar. And if you repeat it, I wont allow you here anymore and I mean it". Rafeeqa said in a tone of warning.

"Ammi. Why didn't Hidayah's inlaws came for the last rites of Dadi? ". Asad asked diverting the topic.

"Who inlaws? ". Rafeeqa asked being shocked.

"Ammi. Hidayah got married right?". Asad asked.

"Asad. The marriage didn't take place". Rafeeqa said breaking the news.

"What? ". Asad asked astonished.

"We were trying to call you for the things that has happened from past few days but you were so unmindful". Rafeeqa said glaring at her son..

"I'm so sorry. Ammi! But what has happened?". He asked being clueless.

"Remember, your father had to rush to Mumbai for an important meeting and Arib's family also lives in Mumbai. After Sadique was done with his work late at night. He decided to take a nap in the hotel. While he was heading to the hotel, he saw Arib there completely drunk and he was unable to stand properly. But what shocked him further was, he went to a hotel room with a girl there. And when he enquired further about Arib, he came to know that Arib comes there more often with different girls every alternate days or sometimes everyday. I was shocked to see your father home before his scheduled timing. When he explained everything what had happen in Mumbai to everybody here including, Hidayah and Yahya jeeju, they were so furious. And the next day, just before three days to the marriage. A meeting was held here between the two Families. Arib's mother, Reshma denied of every accusation that laid on her son. But Sadique showed them the proof of him hanging out with girls . He had taken their pictures. Safe to say, our Hidayah was saved. And the next day, Zohra Khala fell sick". Rafeeqa said. Asad was beyond shock. He never expected anything like this.

"That was so unexpected Ammi". Asad said trying to take in all the information.

Does that mean, life is giving him a second chance?. If yes. He won't let it just waste. He decided to talk to his Ammi.

"Ammi. I need to tell you something". Asad said.

"Yes beta! ". Rafeeqa said.

"Ammi! I want........ ". Before Asad could say anything, Anam called her mother, "Ammi. How much salt should I add in the curry? ".

"Wait! I'm coming". Rafeeqa said and turned to her son, "Asad. I'll talk to you later beta. Sadique and Yahya jeeju must be on their way. Sadique will be staying here only. I need to finish cooking before they come". Rafeeqa explained.

"OK Ammi!  But when are we going back to our hotel? ". He asked her further because he knew, he couldn't talk to her about it in front of Hidayah and her family. But he had to make some move as soon as possible.

"Till Hidayah comes to a normalcy, I wont be going anywhere". Saying she got up to go to kitchen.

Asad thought of some plan to take his mother away from there for a peaceful discussion of him and Hidayah together. He asked for a miracle to Allah. And indeed it is here.

                       •••

"I didn't know Arib bhai is a cheapster.  Thank God we got to know about it before you got married to him". Haseena said sitting on a bench of their college canteen.

"Everyone are giving me hope that I can get someone better but I wasn't sad either because of the breaking of this proposal". Hidayah said.

"Yes and why will you be sad since your heart is been stolen by somebody else?". Haseena teased Hidayah.

"Hasu. I don't even have hope for us together. Even if he takes it further, I can't get married to him". Hidayah said.

"Now what's your problem, Hida? ". Haseena asked frustrated.

"Hasu, I can't go to US leaving Abba all alone here". Hidayah tried to justify her point.

"I understand, Hida. But I'm sure Asad will find a way out of it. Don't break his heart this time". Haseena said.

"It's easy to say than done. What would you do if you were at my place?. Would you leave your father all alone?". Hidayah asked her friend.

"But they have settled down here right?". Haseena asked.

"Yes but not Asad. It will take him another year or more to come back to his family". Hidayah shared her worry.

"It's just a matter of few years, Hida". Haseena said trying to convince her friend.

"And what if something happens to Abba in this few years. He's the only one in my life. And I don't want to lose him at any cost". Hidayah said determined.

"And does that mean you will accept any proposal that came your way except Asad's?". Haseena asked to which Hidayah nodded her head in positive.

"May Allah give you some brain". Haseena said lifting her hand for dua.

"How's Afreen Di? ". Hidayah asked diverting the topic.

"She's sad for we didn't know our cousin was this cheap". Haseena said.

"That's okay Hasu. I'm not blaming anyone". Hidayah said.

"But Reshma phupoo was so evil. She knew about her son yet she tried to hook you up with him. You know what? Abba isn't even talking to them". Haseena said.

"He's just angry now. When his anger will subside, he will be back to normal, in shaa Allah ". Hidayah said

"In sha Allah ". Haseena said mirroring her friend.

***