Sassi took a big gulp of her wine. She narrowed her eyes at me before she spoke.

"I hope you not getting too into this guy and catching feelings or anything?" she said in a serious tone. I opened my eyes wide, not expecting that response.

"Of course not. Are you insane? You know me better than that. Dimitri is a complete stranger... From prison... That makes him a criminal." I don't know who I was convincing. Me or Sassi.

"Uh huh," she said, looking at me like she believed nothing I had just said. "You better not. This is purely for fun. I don't want you to get your heartbroken again."

As she said the last two words. My mind flashed to Mason's engagement and the date with Arthur. I looked down at my cocktail as disappointment washed over me.

"What's wrong?" Sassi said, concerned. She probably saw my face drop suddenly. "Maybe you should stop-"

"It's not Dimitri. It's Mason." I said, cutting her off before she jumped to conclusions. I filled in information about Mason and his engagement to Melissa, which was delivered by my dear mother. And I touched on my date with Arthur and how he, too, was ignoring me.

"What a fucking jerk, Lillie!" Sassi scowled. I saw the anger brew in her eyes. That's what I liked about Sassi. She got angry for the both of us. Where I lacked, she more than enough filled the gap. She was a girl you would want in your corner.

"If I ever see Mason again," she seethed. "I'll rip his balls off and slap it in Melissa's face!"

I laughed. "It's okay Sass, really. I'm okay." Even though I wasn't.

I was grateful when our food arrived, distracting us from talking about the men in my life. Which to come to think of it, I had none technically.

The food was scrumptious, and the evening went well. At least the conversation didn't steer back to Dimitri, Mason or Arthur again. We stayed a while longer at the restaurant. After a few cocktails. We called it a night. I was too tired to do anything else. We said our goodbyes. I took an Uber home. Her last words echoed in my mind.

'It's no big deal if he doesn't write back.'

With that, I eventually ended up in bed. My mind lingered on Dimitri and finally drifted off to sleep.

***

The morning sun streamed idly through the bedroom curtains, accompanied by a cool and refreshing breeze. The previous night I left the window open to cool off. I stretched my limbs out on the bed and lazily got up. I yawned and relaxed, since I had nothing planned today. I went to the bathroom, brushed my teeth, and washed my face. I slipped on my silky gown since I was only wearing my shorts and top.

I sauntered downstairs to the kitchen. And looked through the fridge. I was hungry. Eggs and bacon with toast, it is. I poured a glass of orange juice. Took a gulp and set it on the table. I walked to the front door and headed outside. I jogged to the post boxes opposite the street and checked for mail, my routine every morning.

To my surprise, I saw a letter from Dimitri. My heart fluttered slightly. But I shook it off, willing myself not to think too much of it. I jogged back to my house. Set the letter on my desk. He will just have to wait till after breakfast. I was in no rush, as if hypothetically I was showing him no interest.

After cooking my breakfast and guzzling down my eggs and bacon. I walked to my desk. I was too restless to read his letter, so much for showing no interest. I failed horribly. As I neatly opened the envelope, I scolwed at myself. I took the letter out and read out loud.

Dear Lillie,

Sorry, I took so long to write back to you. I ran into some trouble that kept me away for some time. But don't worry, it's sorted out now. I don't plan on having further trouble. I can promise you that.

Thank you for sending me your pictures. I really like them. You better than what I imagined, a real pretty girl with hazel eyes. I must confess you have the most beautiful eyes.

We've been exchanging letters for some time now and we know each other more, thanks to Pen Pal Prisoner. So, what I'm about to say may sound slightly strange. I dreamt about you last night! But don't be scared, it was a good dream.

You were standing with your back towards me, near a lake, overlooking its waters. There was a light breeze that moved through your brown hair and white dress. The sun was setting, giving a golden halo that surrounded you. You had a serenity about you and looked breath taking.

It was one of the best dreams I had in a long time. Your letters mean more to me than you know.

Yours,

Dimitri

Dimitri's letter brought me almost to tears. My eyes stung at each word describing his dream about me. I hadn't realized I had an impact on him. Honestly, it scared me. Relief washed over me after he had a valid reason for not writing back. I smiled. He did like my pictures. And he said I was pretty. I blushed as heat rushed to my face. I was such a nerd sometimes.

It felt so good to be valued by someone and to feel so appreciated for your efforts. It made me giddy, but nervous at the same time. It was a breath of fresh air. It warmed my heart. And I couldn't help but think fondly of Dimitri. He was being so sweet. So tender with me compared to our first letters. We came a long way since then.

I wrote to him immediately back. As I wrote, a dull ache formed inside me.

I confess, I wanted more.