Chapter 2: Life Sucks

Something strange happened one day. While I was busying creating a puppet, something new entered my anti-void. At first, I thought it was Ink and quickly hid my puppets. But, looking up, I'm hit with a familiar sight. Although I can only remember bits and pieces of my past life, that doesn't stop me from recognizing such an iconic character.

Adjusting my hat, I slowly get up and walk towards him. I can hear his demonic yet sad cries echo across the void. And I'm saddened because of it. While anyone else would have probably froze after seeing his face, my only thought was that he didn't deserve this. No-one deserved this.

Without warning, I give him a hug. He finally realizes someone is here with him. I can feel my senses shouting dodge as one of his tentacles attack me. He glares at me with such hostility and distrust that I can help but wonder if that's how Ink will look at me when he discovers I'm a destroyer.

Dodging his attacks left and right, I can't bring myself to hurt him. So, I decided the next best thing is to wait until he gets tired. While the battle continues, I speak to him. I tell him that I understand his pain and suffering. That I understand that the world isn't fair.

He seems to be listening to what I'm saying but some part of him doesn't believe me. Then, a burning sensation hits my soul. And that distraction is enough for his tentacles to slam into me. I slide across the anti-void, coming to a standstill. I clutch my chest in agony as Nightmare watches on in confusion.

Waiting until the pain subsides, I sit up tiredly. I force a smile and ask him to forget ever seeing that. He watches me like he understands something. And what he says next almost brought me to tears.

"You're suffering too?"

I nod in defeat. Not wanting to vocalize my answer since I fear breaking down then and there. I don't want to become like the original Error, broken and misunderstood. Standing up, I adjust my hat. I walk towards him as he watches me silently.

I stop about a foot away from him and look up. Unlike the original Error, I'm much shorter. Holding out my hand towards him, I grin while saying my name and asking for his. I didn't want to come off as strange for knowing his name somehow.

Nightmare just stared at my hand, questionably. He reaches out and grabs it. After that day, we would hang out. I would tell him about the multiverse and the anti-void and explain to him about the balance needed to sustain them.

When I brought up balance, I could see his face contort in sadness. It seems he understood about it. Makes sense since I only discovered about balance when looking into his au. When he asked me if I was the one in charge of making au's, I only shook my head for a no. I told him about Ink and his role in the multiverse.

He asked me about where Ink was right now. And I told him that Ink resides within the light area. I must have sounded happy when talking about Ink because I could feel Nightmare staring at me hard. I blushed in embarrassment and tried to change the subject.

He later told me about his world and what happened. I could feel myself wanting to cry but I held it in. I understood Nightmare did not want any pity. It would only make things much worse if I tried. But when he asked about me, I felt tense at that.

I weight the pros and cons of telling him about me. But he already told me about him. If I am to befriend him, it's only fair I don't keep secrets from him. So, with a heavy heart, I tell him my job. My job as a destroyer. I covered my eye sockets, not wanting to see his expression. Would he still stare at me with distrust?

When it becomes unbearably silent, I take a chance and peek. He's staring at me, as if waiting for me to calm down. Lowering my hands, I apologize for covering my eye sockets. Then, he asked me if Ink knows about my job. I lower my head while saying no. Feeling guilty for hiding such a secret.

What I didn't notice was his sinister smile. I didn't remember that Nightmare survives from negativity. And I'm a whole bundle of that. Maybe that's why he decided to stay with me? I was like his source of energy sustaining him.

When I asked later if he would like to meet with Ink, he declined. He didn't want to cause suspicion towards me. At least, that's what he told me. So, when I was preparing to do my job, I was surprised when he asked if he could help.

I didn't think much of it and decided to agree. Not only would it make my job much easier, it would also help to have someone who understands me. Entering an au, I quickly explain to him what we must do.

I told him that we will first need to restrain the human from this world before we can do anything. That way, no resets can happen. After that, it's simply killing off everyone so that the world crumbles. Starting from killing small monsters to boss monsters, my whole demeanor reeks of pain. But only those sensitive to emotions can pick it up.

After killing every monster, I check the code of this world. It's crumbling away like sand. The only one left is the human and sans of this world. Activating my blue strings, I pull out their souls. To them, it's like tearing away their lives. To me, it's like tearing away my sanity.

Watching the au become nothing, I quickly pull Nightmare out before he gets trapped inside the void. Stepping back into the anti-void, I feel myself wanting to break down. I weep in silence, feeling my glitches jamming my sense. This always happens when I break down.

When I forced myself to start destroying au's, I questioned if this is what I truly wanted. It wasn't like I considered myself a god, I'm undeserving of such a title. What gave me the right to kill all those monsters? The only monster I see is myself.

But at the same time, I knew I had to do it. I was given this role because anyone else wouldn't try as hard as us Errors and would only destroy without caution nor understanding. But still...there were some points in time that I wish to just end it all.

Staring into the abyss I consider my memories; I can remember specific points in time I wanted to just become nothing. Those were the days I couldn't bring myself to stare at Ink. I couldn't bring myself to ignore the whispers. At some point in time, those voices in my head became louder. Telling me I'm the bad guy and that I shouldn't exist.

I believed those voices in my head. It's not like I had anyone at the time to empathize with me. Only bad guys kill and destroy. Only bad guys can't be redeemed. And only bad guys were shunned from the light. But at the same time, my past memories brought me out from my depression.

If I truly was bad, I would have killed all the original au's. Not only would this cause their copies to crumble, but it would also cause the multiverse to have more room. But I chose the much harder option. Killing copies.

My job may be dirty and evil, but someone must do it. And if I must be considered the bad guy to continue to do my job, so be it. Snapping out from my trance, I feel myself calming down. Looking up, I see Nightmare staring at me in pain.

Even if Nightmare thrives from negativity, that doesn't make him a bad guy either. He's only doing what he was made to do. He had no control over it. Adjusting my hat, I force myself to smile. And for the first time in forever, I manage to say a full sentence without stuttering.

"Life sucks, doesn't it?"