night talks • bang chan

Magsimula sa umpisa

Chan gave you a faint smile, he looked absolutely exhausted and you couldn't help but worry.

"Hey, you seem pretty tired today. We could skip night talk today and just do it tomorrow."

"No! I mean, I've just been busy the whole day, a night talk could help me recharge."

Although you were still a little concerned for the man, you nodded and left the apartment with him for another night, laying down in the grass and stsring at the empty sky.

~

"Hey, you seem really stressed today. Wanna talk about it?" You rolled your body to face him, tucking your hands under your head, having it as your pillow. Chan just kinda stared at you for a minute, not uttering a single word. His pupils seem to be dilating a little, as if he was holding himself back from crying.

After the long minute, he let out a sigh and said, "I'm alright. Just... school stuff."

You smiled and reached your hand to pat his shoulder, "Yea, school sucks. But before you know it we'll be out of that hell hole and then we have to go into the other hell hole called working life."

Chan smiled at your words and looked back up into the sky. Funny how behind the empty sky, there holds a universe up there far far away. He lifted his hand towards the sky and said, "The world is so small yet so big. The universe is so far up there but when I lift up my hand, it feels so close to me and it feels like I could have it right in my hands. But of course, that's impossible."

"Well look who is being sentimental today." You chuckled softly and Chan giggled softly along. Both of you soon fell silent, watching the sky before you spoke up.

"You can relate that back to school life. The school seems so big when you step your foot in it and it seems so scary on the first day but the longer you spend there and the moment you take a few steps back, it doesn't seem so big afterall. And one day, whether you like it or not, you'll have to step out of that school and lead your life to the best you can. Of course, that depends on you. Whatever you're going through in school now, you'll get over with it soon."

It was so dark in the night, with streetlights only shining on the road. Chan couldn't hold his tears back in anymore, as he turned his body away from you and he was crying so silently it was even quieter than the quiet space up there.

By the time Chan cooled down, it was already 2 in the morning, the wind was so chilling that it made you shiver non-stop. Your eyes were also starting to close and your body was getting tired from moving a single inch.

Chan's body was close to yours and he could feel your cold hands against his warm ones. He smiled weakly and removed his jacket, wrapping it around your body.

It's time to tell her, he thought to himself.

"Hey Chan, I think we should go back now. It's late but I'll see you tomorrow. I'll prepare some food for you too."

His breath hitched softly, and he laid there, seemingly to admire you for another minute. And another minute or two passed without either of you realising. Until he nodded, and a smile appeared on his face.

A smile that comes with a tinge of sadness.

He stood up and lifted you by your hand, and pulled your body towards his into a hug.

Your heart started beating furiously at his actions and you could feel his beating at the same speed. But it sounded so calm and you felt so safe, you closed your eyes and it felt like you could fall asleep standing.

"See you tomorrow, Y/N."

~

The next morning, you woke up in an awfully good mood. You stretched your body and got out of bed. Funny, the last thing you remembered from last night was Chan's warm hug. Did you actually fell asleep standing or were you that tired you couldn't remember what happened?

You shrugged and reminded yourself to get the groceries later to cook a nice meal for him. Slowly, you made your way to the kitchen and that was when you noticed a piece of paper you do not remember placing on the table.

Picking it up, your eyes widened in horror as you read the long letter written to you, tears started welling up your eyes as you dashed out of your apartment and knocked on Chan's door.

"Please tell me you're still in there...You're still in there, we are supposed to go for our night talk later aren't we? Chan? Chan, please open the door!" You cried out in agony and banged on his door with full strength.

The door opened on its own due to the force and the fact it wasn't even locked anymore in the first place. In there stood an empty apartment. All his furniture were gone, all his valuables were gone and he wasn't even there anymore.

~

Dear Y/N,

I'm so sorry you had to find out this way but I'll be moving back to Australia tomorrow. I don't know when I'll be back but I'm going to be there for a good few years for college at least. I want you to know that you have always been a great neighbour, a great friend and a great buddy to talk to at night.
I'll definitely miss night talks with you, just laying on the grass and having the same cup of instant noodles at the convenience store. You don't have to cook that meal for me tomorrow, I would have to move out by morning already but I wanted to spend the last few hours I had here with you.
Your words just now as you said, the universe may not be as big as it is. Although it will feel like we are so close yet so far, I want you to remember your own words. Before we know it, maybe you'll forget about me and you'll be living your life the way you have always wanted it to be. For me, I don't think I would ever forget you at all but you made me forget that I had to move out even. As for the jacket, you can keep it. Maybe if we're lucky enough, we can cross paths again and I'll recognise you just by that jacket. Despite your shivering body yesterday, your hug felt warm, even though you fell asleep while standing, hugging you feels like a warm winter night in front of a fireplace at home. There's so many things I wanted to tell you last night but I didn't have the chance to as I got caught up with just being with you at the moment. Even if it was just for a minute longer, I just wanted to be with you.
I love you.

Love,
Chan.