Chapter 1

They stated that your day would begin anew the moment you woke up and felt the warmth of the sun

They stated that your day would begin anew the moment you woke up and felt the warmth of the sun. And when you simply forget about the life you sought and accept your convictions without considering the hereafter, everything will proceed as planned. Yet they were wrong.

On that day, my life took on the darkest hue as a smile appeared on my lips, the shine caught a glimpse of my dozing eyes, and the warm sensation of the sun and air met my body.

“GUILTY!” The jury made a verdict. The witnesses to the trial then let forth yells of triumph.

I was deep in contemplation. My gaze was fixed on the spot where I had been seated earlier. The place I go to plead and fight for my innocence. Even though the seat was vacant now, I could still feel my spirit sitting there and yelling, battling for my clean conscience. I bit my lip when the weeping became out of control. Every time, I can feel my breathing getting harder and my shoulder trembling. I tap my chest lightly with my right hand in an attempt to relieve the excruciating pain that is inside of me.

“Jam!”Ara screamed. She's crying while trying to get closer to me, but the two policemen stopped her.

Her hands were covering her mouth, and behind her was Carter, standing expressionless yet not pleased. His hand was closed, and his jaw was clenched. He looked at me and uttered, “It's not over, Jam. Hindi ako makakapayag.”

When the police dragged me out of the courtroom, Ara, who was still crying, gave me a nod and a pitying smile until I could no longer see either of them.

When we got out, I could hear people's voices roaring within my ears. They are looking at me with disgust. Some were so eager to hurt me, some couldn't even afford to look at me.

A man suddenly flung a rock, landing it on my forehead. But nobody seems to mind when blood spills. While the cameras kept flashing, the cop I was with tried to hide me from the press.

I bit my lip to stop myself from crying, but the tears were coming down like a flood. Right now, all I can do is try to keep it as quiet as possible.

“Demonyo ka!”

“Mamamatay tao!”

“Mabulok ka sa kulongan!”

“Wala kang puso!”

“Walang kwenta!”

“Puta na nga, criminal pa! Tang*na mo!”

My mind began to crawl with those words, deteriorating my already vile spirit.

“I didn't do it! No- I didn't kill him!” Those remarks were mumbled out of need, but people were already excessively intense.