𝑰: 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑮𝒓𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒅

𝑰: 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑮𝒓𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒅

1.01.1

⁖°* • ⠎☾⠑⠍°*

She felt the sun on her face. She saw trees all around her, the scent of wildflowers on a breeze. It's so beautiful. In this moment, she's not stranded in space. It's been ninety-seven years since a nuclear apocalypse killed everyone on Earth, leaving the planet simmering in radiation. Fortunately, there were survivors. Twelve nations had operational space stations at the time of the bombs. There is now only the Ark, one station forged from the many. They're told the Earth needs another hundred years to become survivable again. Four more space-locked generations, and man can go home, back to the ground. The ground, that's the dream. This is reality.

The door to the girl's cell opens revealing a male guard. "Prisoner five-one-nine, face the wall." Reality sucks.

"What is this?" the girl, Adelaide, asked.

The guard ignored her question, "Quiet. Hold out your right arm."

Adelaide spoke in a confused voice, "No. No. It's not my time. I don't turn eighteen for another week."

"Hold out your arm," he replied sternly. On The Ark, every crime, no matter how small, is punishable by death unless you're under eighteen.

"Your bracelet, take it off."

"Sorry, but I can't," Adelaide spoke fiercely. He took out his shock lasher and tried to shock her but she dodged it. In return, She threw an uppercut to his jaw. He fell back grasping where she had hit him, so Adelaide took this as her chance and ripped the shock lasher out of his hand and shocked him in the stomach. He was down now and this was her chance to figure out what was happening.

Adelaide ran out and saw delinquents being moved around by guards. She saw one her childhood best friend Clarke and Clarke's mother, Abby, talking with one another.

Clarke and Abby hadn't seen Adelaide yet, so she ran up to them. "Mom? Mom, what's going on? What is this?" Clarke asked worriedly. They both noticed her and Clarke took her into a big hug.

"Hey to you too, Clarke, and Abby," Adelaide spoke out to them, "they're killing us all, aren't they? What complete assbutts."

Abby finally spoke up, "Adelaide, Clarke, you are not being executed. You're being sent to the ground, all one hundred of you." Clarke and Adelaide both stared at her, Adelaide's mouth falling open. They can't do it, the Earth is still covered in radiation, Adelaide thought.

Before Adelaide could say anything Clarke spoke, "What? But it's not safe. No. No," Clarke had a worried expression on her face while speaking, "We get reviewed at eighteen."

Abby put one of her hands on Clarke's shoulder and the other on Adelaide's and told us both, "The rules have changed. This gives you a chance to live. Your instincts will tell you to take care of everybody else first, just like your father. But be careful, I can't lose both of you, too. I love you girls so much."

Adelaide felt a pinch in my neck and slowly my vision went black and she was starting to fall asleep, but right before she completely blacked out she heard Abby tell them, "Earth. You girls get to go to Earth."

꧁☾♥︎☽꧂

Adelaide slowly started waking up, when she saw Wells Jaha, another one of my childhood best friends, along with Clarke. Clarke awoke and saw Wells on the other side of Adelaide.

Wells spoke first while looking at us, "Welcome back. Look--"

"Wells, why the hell are you here?" Clarke spat out in a tone of hatred toward him. Adelaide was locked up before Clarke and didn't know why she was angry at Wells, but now didn't seem the time to ask.