Chapter 1: Beautiful Mornings

~ 3rd person ~

Kaede Akamatsu would've absolutely loved the refreshing feeling of the light morning breeze that gently blew her bedroom curtains just out of place and warmly hit her cheeks just enough to wake her up. She would have... if it wasn't for the loud and obnoxious beeping coming from the cell phone on her nightstand. Right, she thought as she sat up and rubbed her eyes dreadfully, today's the first day of classes. Kaede huffed out a sigh, reaching over to shut off her alarm and check her notifications. Nothing new, a couple of texts from her friends' group chat—it mostly just consisted of Kaito sending pictures of the night sky along with a ton of conspiracies he made up about whatever celestial body was being shown in the images he sent, followed by Maki and Tenko threatening to force him asleep if he didn't go to bed on his own. Scrolling through the messages, Kaede giggled; she had always felt at ease with her group of friends. There wasn't really much she kept from them, and the same went for how they acted towards her. As she scrolled through her notifications, her smile faltered a bit when she didn't see any notifications from the one person who, in her mind, was above the rest of her friends. She sent a quick text to her group chat wishing all of them a good morning before finally getting off her bed to go freshen up and prepare herself for the day. She already heard the sizzling of the stove in the kitchen where her dorm mate, Rantaro Amami (who happened to be in that friend group), was cooking up some scrambled eggs and bacon for the two of them. Grabbing her favorite hoodie after throwing on a pair of jeans and a tank top, Kaede headed for the bar in front of the kitchen, noticing the barstools that were occupied by her and Rantaro's book bags.

"Morning, 'Taro!" Kaede cheerfully greeted him. Rantaro, donning a spatula in his right hand and a frying pan in his left, perked up and turned around with a smile on his face.

"Heya, Kaede. Did you sleep well last night?"

Kaede walked over to the coffee machine, which was already prepared thanks to how well her roommate knew her after their first year of having lived together. "Somehow, I managed," she laughed in response. "Never would've expected to sleep so peacefully the night before our first day of sophomore year, especially not with Kaito's rambling." This made Rantaro chuckle a bit as he loaded up a small plate with some eggs and a couple of bacon strips, setting it out before Kaede's barstool.

"Well, in any case, your breakfast is ready. Eggs and bacon, fresh off the pan and cooked just how you like them!" Rantaro smirked and scrunched up his nose when Kaede, holding a small cup of coffee, walked up to him and kissed his cheek as thanks. It was a nice feeling for both of them, knowing they could be this close as roommates without any worries. Besides, neither of them swung in any way that might have potentially complicated things between them, had they been any other two people.

"Jeez Rantaro, you've gotta let me do something for you once in a while." Kaede pouted lightheartedly and sat down. Once again, she pulled out her phone, hoping to see something, anything coming from her. But alas, Kaede found that she was still unlucky in that department as she proceeded to stuff herself with the wonderful breakfast her roommate cooked up.

.                                                                                              .                                                                                                     .

The breeze coming in through the windows wasn't nearly enough to wake this sleeping... beauty, some might say. Miu Iruma's sleeping positions were so ridiculously wild that she may as well have been getting pushed by an unknown force. This time, she was entangled in blankets as the lower half of her body was hanging off the edge of her bed. Her hands were still clad in the leather gloves she loved to wear so much, and her goggles were falling off of her head and pinning down her little ahoges to the pillow she wasn't hugging with one arm whilst drooling. No matter how much the breeze hit Miu in the face, she wasn't budging. It wasn't long before the girl was frightened awake by the blasting of her alarm: