IV. BAD THINGS

⟦     iv. bad things . . .     ⟧

     ⟧

"OVER THE COURSE OF my life, we encountered no shortage of those who would presume to speak of good and evil. Such terms mean nothing. People do what is in their best interest, regardless of who gets hurt. Is it evil to take what one wants, to satisfy hunger even if doing so will cause another's suffering? What some would call evil I believe to be an appropriate response to a harsh and unfair world."

He rants on, as I sit at his desk, holding my head, which felt like, it was about to burst because of my hangover.

"No offense." I tell him. "But can you monologue to someone who, I don't know, doesn't have a hangover? Or maybe even a psychologist." I say. "I mean, what am I even doing her, I could be in my bed."

"You're here because I enjoy your company, and I sense you have the capacity for understanding someone of my complexity." He tell s me, and I roll my eyes.

"Are you naturally this dramatic, or do you practice?" I ask him, sarcastically.

"You see, I returned to New Orleans to investigate a threat posed against me." He continues, as I put my head on the cool surface of his desk. "What I found was a young woman, pregnant, in need of protection. My brother, always the do-gooder, tried to manipulate me into helping her. He thought it might redeem me." He says, as he makes his way to his desk, and sits down across form me. "Trouble is, I've since learned of another young women, a girl really, one with vast potential, held in captivity by a tyrant. I want to help both of these women. Protect one and free the other."

"Oh, I'm sure, your intentions are as honorable, as you make them out to be." I tell him, lifting my head to give him a sarcastic smile.

"Also, there's this other women." He continues, with a smirk, as he intertwines his fingers on the desk, and leans on it. "Whom I can't quite read." He give him an amused look. "But, oh, how I wish to."

I stand up, and walk around the desk, and he meets me halfway.

"And what do you plan to do to this women?" I ask him, tilting my head, as his smirks widens.

"Nothing bad." He replies, slowly leaning in.

"It's a shame." I tell him, as I move my hand up, and his body freezes, red sparks appearing near his face, and my hand. "I do very much like bad things."

I walk past him, releasing my hold on him, and not even a second later, I'm pinned to the wall.

"That was not funny." He tells me, his voice low, a hint of a smile on his face.