In Which the Playing Field is Evened

The sun had barely risen but Techno was already off. He had to travel slightly downstream and back to the main river before he could continue. The way he had come had been a good spot to hide and prepare for a short time, but it was nestled in between tall mountains that would take ages to climb. If he went downstream, he would eventually reach the river he had followed before and could then follow it upstream again, enjoying the luxury of a limitless freshwater source for as long as he could. His steps were long and even, striding along the riverbank and avoiding the overgrown forestry in an effort to make up for lost time.

The cool, crisp air felt good on his neck, blowing his shoulder-length hair slightly in the wind. Techno breathed in, letting the chill wake him up more, steeling himself for another day of walking. If he kept up the pace, he would reach the Kingdom within four or five days.

He kept on moving forward, nearly getting lost in thought before shaking himself out of it. He couldn't keep reminiscing on old memories, no matter how much he ached to. It hurt, trying to forget what had meant so much to him. He just had to keep moving. He would be fine. He couldn't let nostalgia get in the way of this. After all, if he kept going he could, just maybe, see his family again.

For a brief moment he allowed himself to hope.

That hope was tucked away and hidden deep inside himself within minutes.

...for fuck's sake.

Techno ducked down behind a rocky outcropping and peered just over it. Below him, about a tree's length away, the stream he had been following flowed back into the larger river, creating a small y-shaped area that made a clearing.

In the center of the clearing, a fire ring glowed softly with pulsing embers, surely remains of a large blazing fire. A small tent was pitched.

Beside the tent, crouching and intent on sharpening his long, deadly netherite sword, the hunter sat, poised for attack.

Techno breathed out slowly, gripping his bow and pulling an arrow from his quiver. This was his chance.

He quickly stood and pulled back, aiming for the warrior's neck.

"I wouldn't try that if I were you."

This was the first time Techno had heard his opponent's voice. He froze. It was higher and much less gravelly then he had expected. Just from the tone he estimated that the hunter was around his age.

"And why shouldn't I?" He responded, keeping his voice strong and steady and his aim on the small of the hunter's neck.

"Because I have your brother." The hunter raised his already loaded crossbow and aimed it towards the inside of the tent, the only area obscured from Techno's view.

It took a moment for the words to register but once they did they hit Techno like a wall of water, pulling him under and leaving him gasping for air. No. There was no way that the hunter could have possibly found any of Techno's family all the way out here, almost fifty kilometers away from the kingdom. Phil had promised to keep them safe.

"No, you don't. There's no possible way."

"Do you really want to take that risk?"

"Do you think I'm an idiot?" Techno spat, pulling the arrow farther towards him and planning to release.

The hunter stood and turned to face him, keeping his crossbow aimed towards the tent. His voice was eerily relaxed and calm, with a hint of arrogance. "Come and see for yourself. But I'm warning you, the second you release that arrow I'm pulling the trigger and he'll be dead within seconds."