Thirty-Five || Broken Lens

Start from the beginning

But during those moments it certainly felt like I was at the lowest point in my life. It wasn't just the injury; it was the exhaustion. I had gone days without food or sleep. If I kept pushing myself like this, I was sure to pass out sooner or later.

While wrapped up in my thoughts, my breathing got heavier and eventually I had to lean my whole weight on poor Neon. I tried, God knows how hard I tried to pull through, but to no avail. It was when I was struggling to keep my Nen on Hisoka that I knew I was fucked.

Another restriction I had on my Nen: Exhaustion would cause me to lose control over the puppet.

It never occurred to me that this situation would ever happen but being here now felt like karma for not thinking what I would do if it did.

Finally, I could feel my body give in to the temptation and forcefully lift the Nen while I tried to fight every instinct not to.

I could hear Hisoka's muffled voice. Even when I was on the verge of passing out his tone didn't fail to piss me off. That built up anger kept me going a little while longer.

I glared at the cocky man as he came closer to us. The hands holding me were beginning to shake of fear and I knew that it wasn't safe for Neon to stay here when I had no control over Hisoka. Even if I did have some energy left to shoot him, I didn't have my gun in my hands- it slipped from my hands earlier when I extracted the card lodged into my flesh. But if I was going down it didn't mean I had to take Neon with me.

Shoving the girl aside, I yelled at her to run. I remember cursing at her, thrashing around so she wouldn't be able to hold me. I never meant to be so harsh but it was the only way I could get her to go. And she did. I watched with a smile as she turned tail and headed for the hallway.

"What do you plan to do now? You're defenseless. I could kill you right now and still be able to catch up with the girl." I heard Hisoka say, this time much clearer than before. I looked at him. He wasn't smiling. Instead he held this judgemental look as if he was trying to figure out what was going through my mind.

I didn't have the energy left in me to speak and it didn't seem like Hisoka cared for an answer. He kept his stern glare on me as I tried my best to stay on my feet. And then, as if he chose to end me right there, he released that Bungee Gum from his left index finger and began twirling it around at insane speed- something one would do with a yo-yo. He outstretched his arm so that the spinning strip of gum was behind his head and when he was sure he had enough momentum, he flung it towards it me.

It took the form of a solid piece, the spinning caused it to resemble the characteristics of a bullet. I was sure to die if it hit me now. It was long, sharp, hard and headed right for my chest.

At the worst of times I was having a mind blank. I didn't know how to react at all. Trying to dodge would be useless because even I knew that his Nen was coming at the speed of light. Gulping, I followed the path the Bungee Gum was about to take to my left chest. My eyes widened at the last second. My brain had been ignoring this minor detail the entire time somehow, but the camera I wore around my neck hung right against my heart. My jaw dropped when the outcome of this factor flashed through my mind.

I wasn't even given a second to react before my prediction came true. Hisoka's Bungee Gum flew right into the centre of the camera and destroyed it completely. The cybershot camera that was used as a plating of protection for my heart was destroyed in an instant when coming into contact with such powerful Nen. Glass and plastic flew in all directions and I could do nothing but watch with shock as the last gift from my late sister broke completely.

The remains of the shattered camera scattered around the hall. Silence settled in as neither Hisoka nor I realised that I would survive that attack. But it didn't matter anymore because I was all out of energy, meaning if that man tried one more move it was over for me. My head fell down to my feet. The puddle of blood I stood in now featured a small shard of glass from the broken lens. Tears welled in my eyes at the horrific realisation. I was about to die.

A long sigh from my enemy made me bring my head up. It occured to me that Hisoka looked just as exhausted as me. "Fine. You win." He said, turning his back to me. My mouth fell open and I stuttered for words but he hushed me. "This fight was under unfair circumstances. I won't be satisfied if I kill you now. Let's fight again, (Y/N), another time when you're at your full strength." The clown smirked. But his face wasn't convincing. His pupils looked distraught; I could only assume he was still disturbed by the fact I was able to hit him with my Manipulation bullet earlier.

My mouth hung open as I watched with tired eyes as Hisoka pulled open the main door. He said nothing but waved at me, moving his fingers like an elderly woman would do when greeting goodbye. And then he left just like that, leaving me in a room covered in my own blood and the broken remains of a treasure.

The hall was left silent and empty. I couldn't believe what had just happened. I didn't think Hisoka would let me go so quickly, that the deadly Bungee Gum trick would be his last move. That Enri's camera saved my life.

My thoughts were interrupted when numerous people approached the hall. I looked at the main staircase to see all the remaining bodyguards standing there, looking confused and worried.

I wanted to tell them it was okay, that everything was fine. That I managed to steer away the man here to kill Neon. But I couldn't before the first of my peers to run down the staircase asked me how severe my injuries were. I suppose that was an appropriate thing to ask when I had a bloody hole in the side of my torso. But it was the last of my concern.

As numerous hands reached out to support me and multiple voices bombarded me with questions about the attacker, the only thing I could focus on was the broken camera lens.

~

I actually did some foreshadowing here. Previously, I mentioned that knowledge/strength cannot compete with experience when referring to the hacker. Same applies to Hisoka. Whether it's Kurapika or (Y/N) against him, Hisoka is more likely to have an upper hand and maybe succeed all due to his experience. But I also didn't want to make (Y/N) appear weak. So I wasn't sure if she should win or lose therefore I decided to end it off, and I think that was pretty in character of Hisoka to do because we all know he'd rather fight someone who's at their full strength (this is shown at the end of Yorkmew arc when he refuses to fight Chrollo). He takes pleasure in fighting and intends to enjoy it to the fullest. He wants to do so with (Y/N) too which is why he chose to spare her after he realised how much of a disadvantage she was at due to her physical state before the fight.

Lowkey think I made this fight really in character ahaha damn I'm kinda seggsy 😏