12: UNSETTLING FEELING

Start from the beginning

"Wear your seatbelt."

"Pardon?" Hyejung didn't hear him clearly as she looked around the car in awe; it was an expensive black Mercedes. She jerked backward when San leaned towards her. "Uh, what are you doing?" Their face was so near that she could feel his fresh minty breath fanning her skin and his masculine sandalwood perfume tickled her nostrils.

"Oh." It dawned upon her that San was trying to buckle her seatbelt; blood rushed to her cheeks.

"You should wear your seatbelt," he said with a smirk before he faced the front and started to drive.

I don't smell nasty, right? She was sweating earlier and it would be embarrassing if San smelled her disgusting sweats. Hyejung stole a glance at San and noticed that he's wearing a pair of expensive looking grey suits — she bet that it cost more than her monthly salary — and he had let a few of the upper buttons free, exposing his collarbone. His hair was gelled and combed to the back, only letting a few strands of it brushed his forehead; it accentuated his sharp jawline and made him look mature.

"Are you going to the class wearing a suit?" His extraordinary appearance pricked her interest; it is impossible one needs to look this good and crisp just to attend their daily classes. Or maybe he just feels like it.

San chortled. "Nope. I'm going somewhere. I don't have class today."

"Family business, huh?" she said, unaware that San never tells anyone about his family.

San's smile fell and his eyes flicked at Hyejung. "You knew?" he asked with curiosity. How did she know about my family? Did Yeosang tell her?

"About what?"

"My...family." San was hesitant to mention but he needed to know where she got the information. It would be a hassle if the whole university knew about him — that his family owned one of the biggest companies in Korea.

Hyejung turned to look at him quizzically. "Your family?" She failed to decipher the meaning of his question. It took her a minute to understand. "You mean, your family having a business?"

San nodded.

Wait, no one knows about it? Did he keep it as a secret? Hyejung studied his expression for a bit — he looked nervous.

So it's true that nobody knows about it. He must be suspicious now that I knew his secret; that made me a stalker!

"Uh—" Hyejung tried to think of an explanation. "Your car." She let out a nervous chuckle.

"Pardon?"

"You're driving an expensive car and even your suits looked expensive to me. I gathered that your family — or maybe you — own a business."

"Oh." San felt stupid for once. It would be impossible to not know when he was driving a Mercedes — an expensive car that would go unnoticed by anyone. "Right, I was stupid. Sorry about that — and it was my dad's car, not mine," he corrected.

"Your dad has a nice car."

San blushed. It was his first time someone saw him wearing and driving something that obviously looked expensive — his everyday clothes were expensive too but people hardly notice about it.

It was a pure coincidence that he saw her running towards the bus stop. He was, at the time, contemplating whether he should give her a ride. However the worried look on her face was hard for him to ignore especially when the woman already knocked on the door of his heart.

He started to care about her.

San cleared his throat. "Can you keep this a secret?"

"You can count on me. I'm very good at keeping secrets." She winked.