A spark ignited within me as the realization struck me. A spark I thought had long since died out.

Was I finally done with this life?

"Luna, could you come down to the office to answer a few questions?" Officer Jones gently asked. He probably thought I'm going to break down because my guardian is in trouble. He couldn't be more wrong.

"Yes," I answered quietly.

"We have contacted a social worker to help you find a new home. Do you know if you have family that is willing to take you in?" He questions.

"No, it's just me."

I was all alone. The lonely feeling is always present. You'd think I'd get used to it after years, but I didn't.

The whole day was a bit of a blur. I tried to move as little as possible to minimize the pain.

I was questioned if I knew anything about Nick's situation. Fortunately, there were no questions about violence of any sorts.

I knew lying to the police wasn't a smart idea, but neither was betraying Nick. He always found out. He had many connections, too many if you ask me. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a corrupt cop in this station who would help Nick.

They were persistent on checking my birth certificate. Officer Williams wanted to make sure I had no other family before putting me in the system. She would try to contact my father even when I told her he wasn't in the picture.

It was always Mom and I against the world. Even when she met Nick.

I thought a lot about them together. Was he ever violent towards her? Mom would never be with him if she had know what for a person he was. Or did he force her to be with him? So many questions that never would be answered.

Officer Jones was on the phone with someone for the past ten minutes. I tried to overhear him because I was curious and had nothing better to do. Unfortunately, he was too far away.

He gave a thumb up to officer Williams, who was sitting on her desk doing some paper work.

I was confused, maybe they found a distant aunt or something.

Five minutes later Williams and Jones came toward me "Good news Luna, we found you a new home," exclaimed Officer Williams. The joy radiated from her. I think it's because finding lost family doesn't happen much, so I should feel lucky.

I raised an eyebrow thinking who it could be. "We have found your brothers. They are happy you are well. Your oldest brother has agreed to be your legal guardian," she almost sang.

My mouth was wide open. Excuse me?

This can't be. I pinched myself a few times, confused why I was still sitting on a chair in the police station. I didn't understand. How could I have brothers?

A part of me felt neglected. After Mom's death, they could have taken me in. Instead, I was left in the hands of a psychopath.

Anger bubbled in my veins. But then I realized my oldest 'brother' immediately agreed to take me in. Maybe they never contacted them when Mom died. My head started hurting from thinking so much. I will just ask them.

I felt a small hand on my shoulder, flinching away from the sudden touch. Sympathetic green eyes met mine. Not like Nick's dark, angry green eyes, these were more friendly.

"I know it must be a lot to take in. Jones and Mrs. Diaz are taking care of everything. You don't need to worry about anything."

But I did worry. They could be as bad as Nick or they could not give a shit about me. So many scenarios rushed through my head. Each scenario worse than the last.

A woman around her thirties was walking toward me. She had blond hair pulled back into a neat ponytail. She wore a stylish dark blue trouser suit with a blouse.

The woman smiled and introduced herself as my social worker Mrs. Diaz. She will bring me to the airport where I will fly to Montana. Before I knew it, I had said goodbye to officer Williams and Jones, and was heading to my 'home' to pack my things.

I will be forever in Jones and Williams their debts. They have changed my life completely without actually knowing it's true impact.

I stood in my room packing the few things I owned. I'm not materialistic girl. I do not own a phone, laptop or other electronic devices. The only important object was a pastel pink blanket with my name on it and my mothers necklace.

I never wore her necklace, too scared Nick would find out and take it away from me. But he's not here anymore, so what's holding me back? I open the medallion for the thousandth time and see the picture of my mother with a man looking at each other. When I look to the other side I see the words that warm my heart.

Always & Forever

- Luca

I know for sure it's my father in the picture. I got the looks from mom, from the wavy dark brown hair to my mouth. But my eyes are a copy of his. Icy blue eyes with a dark blue edge and a little bit brown around my pupils. Mom loved my eyes, she said she could look at them forever.

Almost every evening I stare at this picture. They look so happy and in love. What went wrong?

"Luna you ready? We need to get you to the airport!" Mrs. Diaz yelled.

I looked at my room for the last time. It wasn't much: a worn mattress, a closet and a small desk.

I was grateful to have furniture, but I despised this space. The room had nothing but bad memories.

I was ready to leave this life behind. A fresh start was all I needed.

°°°°°°°°°°