"I'm done with the upstairs, sir. If, uh-- If I may ask, Captain, where will I be expected to sleep?" Eren asked Captain Levi.

"Your sleeping quarters are in the cellar." Captain Levi informed.

"The cellar? But, sir, again? Wait, what about Kyra, sir?" Eren questioned.

"Our safest option. Kyra doesn't pose as much as a danger as you. That being said she will be staying in a room next to mine. She will still be under surveillance, just not as strict as yours. Your abilities are far from being under control. You might go Titan in your sleep. One of the conditions of my having you in custody at all is that I keep you under strict security morning, noon, and night. While we're in dreamland, you're in restraints. That's the rule. I'll check your work. Take over here. I want it spotless." Captain Levi said before leaving to check Eren's work.

"Yes, sir." Eren huffed out.

"Oh, Eren. Try not to look so discouraged. Sorry. I hope you don't mind me calling you Eren. I notice the Captain does and, well, he pretty much sets the tone for the rest of us." Petra said with a smile.

"Whatever. It's just that I, uh... well...Did I really look discouraged, or were you saying that?" Eren questioned.

"Everyone reacts that way...well except for your friend Kyra downstairs. She just looks annoyed. Up close and personal, Captain Levi doesn't seem much like the hero he's cracked up to be. For one thing he's a lot shorter. Bit on the temperamental side, too. Not exactly imbued with what you'd call the social graces." Petra said.

"Yeah, I know the type. It's not that." Eren said as a stoic girl with white-hair came to mind.

"I'm more put off by the seriousness. He's so dead earnest about following the higher-ups' rules." Eren explained.

"Let me guess. You think strength means living by your own rules, flouting everyone else's?" Petra questioned.

'Well, he didn't strike me as the type to take orders." Eren explained.

"Time was he would've lived up to your expectations. That's what I understand anyway. I don't have the details. Story goes he was quite the rogue before joining the Scouts. A high roller in the Capital's black market." Petra informed.

"How the hell did he-- I mean..." Eren stammered out.

"No clue. Folks talk, but who knows what really brought him here, right? The most popular version involves Erwin. They say he dragged him to the Scouts kicking and screaming." Petra said with a giggle.

"The Commander?" Eren questioned in disbelief.

"What's going on?" Levi walked in eyeing the two who quickly looked like they were busy.

"Sir!" Eren said straightening up.

"Your cleaning is lamentable. Back upstairs. Now." Levi ordered.

...

They all gathered around the table having a cup of tea. Kyra remained quiet listening to the conversation.

"It's safe to assume our standing orders will stretch into next week. But word through the grapevine is we're gearing up for a big mission a month from now. One where a bunch of wet-behind-the-ears graduates are slated to be our main backup." Eld informed.