16. Out of My Mind

Start from the beginning

"So enlighten me?" She held on to the bottom of her tea cup with both hands and blew cool air into the hot tea. I stared at her lips and watch them pout together as she cooled the smoke rising from her tea.

"What?"

"What's going on friend?" she fixed her hoodie from flying off her head.

"Oh um nothing really." She flashed her lashes at me and punched my arm softly.

"There's gotta be something.'' Again the doctors voice came back yelling in my ears.

"Traveling!" I didn't want to tell her anything private in my life. I faked smiled and hoped she fell for it. Deep inside I was dying. I'm sharing the most important moments of my life with someone else in the middle of nowhere other than my father.

    Why can't everything be okay with Willy in the next ten minutes so he can hop out of the Hospital bed and show me around his past long before I was born. 

 "You travel?" She didn't seem excited to hear that. "I thought you were visiting someone? Aren't you visiting someone?" I looked at her automatically. How did she have any clue that I was. I never told her.

"Why would you think that?" I said.

         "I heard you talking in your sleep on the plane flight. Not that I was eavesdropping but it sounded pretty serious. Most travelers have a group with them you know." She turned her head around to avoid eye contact with me.

"I'd rather travel alone." I sighed. I looked up into the ombre orange and purple sky.

"I love Paris and it's beautiful sunsets." I smiled at her and the thought of it as well. It seemed as if the question annoyed me so she changed the subject avoiding anymore awkward situations.

    "Oh!" she placed her thumb on her bottom lip and closed her eyes. "I didn't get your name."

"Drew!" I said feeling obligated. Her hands slid off her bottom lip and I watched them slowly vibrate. I wanted to kiss them and bite them. Her lips are full and pink too. They looked kissable. 

  "You already know me." Her hand ran across her chest. "Anastasia. Do you remember?"

"It never left my mind." I pointed at my temple. "It's been stuck here since you appeared in my life."

Her lips opened wide. Her white teeth between her lips captured my eyes. She was smiling happily at me. I was starting to feel better. Before, I wanted to run away from her, but the more she talked to me no matter what the question was, I couldn't wait to answer.

"Where are you from Drew? You speak perfect English." Her fingers formed the three six's.

"I was actually born here. At the time when my parents were looking for a better lifestyle, we quickly made a great living in New York. I was raised there instead. I have a great family there too. I miss them already and it's only been a couple days since I landed." She joined in my answer.

  "So sorry to interrupt, but how is New York? Is it like Paris?" I began hearing her French accent escape her mouth. It's much more louder and clear you can here her tongue rub against the back of her throat.

   "Yea. They're quite similar in fact. I mean except there is no Eiffel Tower in the middle of Manhattan. You've never been to New York?"

    "Nope. Well I have but, I never actually explored anything in the city. My father had a show one time and I went but he isolated me from the culture. I guess he didn't want me to be influenced by the a. . . Americans."

"Oh," I looked into the cup of my tea and watched the waves dance like lightening. My hand was shaking and I could see the bottom of the tea cup much more clearer than before. "It's really nice. You'll love it. NY is crazy but sometimes you just can't get enough. It's like walking through a museum of designs. You feel like you're part of the art on the walls. I look at the graffiti on the walls and think, impossible. How can such creativity be made so perfectly." She looked at me in the eyes and didn't lose any eye contact with me. Her green irises began to blur. The wind was making her eyes watery so she blinked as fast as she can.

      "Captivating." She said.

We carried on and on talking about each other and what not. She mostly complimented my looks and my personality. She talked about her childhood and how as a child she moved from house to house in Paris. She was slowly putting back all those empty feelings in my heart. I didn't want to fall for her but I couldn't resist. She's so cute and her way of thinking is thrilling. I thought she would be an ordinary girl running into the company of a stranger, but Anastasia reminded me of someone I remember but I don't want to think of her name. I didn't want to think of her in my head either. 

Remembering my way back to the hotel, we stood side to side by each other looking around awkwardly. 

   "So Drew," she pulls out her cell phone. "Call me when you get the chance. I'd really like to spend more time with you." She dialed her number into my phone. She slid it back in my pocket herself . Our noses were inches way.

Kiss me?

I said verbatim in my mind. She looked like she wanted to kiss me too. 

    "Listen, it's getting late and I was supposed to meet my sister like an hour ago. She'll go nuts if I don't get to her anytime soon." Her hands rubbed off my cheeks. She pulled back walking away and fading into the crowd of pedestrians making their way into the hotel. I didn't stop looking at her when she walked away. 

   Except a smile appeared on my face. The face of the girl she reminded me of came back into my mind.