The New Regular

The boy came in every single day for a week. It was usually us just having small conversations as he grabbed whatever random item he said he needed. Sometimes snacks, sometimes medical supplies, and once he said he needed a pineapple. I was starting to get used to him coming in and was really enjoying seeing him every day. This time when he walked it, it was the weekend. We were open much later tonight. It was lunch so I didn't expect him to come in until it wasn't so hot outside. I was surprised that I saw him standing in the corner with his arms crossed as I was getting through the lunch rush. He didn't go looking around, he just stood there, waiting.

After I finished with the last customer, I sighed and walked out from behind the counter. "Are you actually going to buy something, or do you just like taking advantage of my air conditioning?"

"You get the popsicles in yet?"

"Yup. I got a whole bunch of them just for you. I'm starting to think you just like coming here to talk to me. But since you also seem to be the little errand boy, I was thinking of putting you on the Regualar's list to get you that discount."

"I don't get a discount as a hero?"

"Sorry, only a hero discount if you save my life. It's just store policy." I laughed. "Now hurry up, I need to take my lunch break before the next rush."

He looked shocked. "It's nearly 2:30 now and you haven't had lunch yet?"

"You were standing there watching the whole time. I didn't exactly have the time to go on lunch break, being the literal only employee in this place. So, you want that discount or not?"

"Fine. Put me in the system."

"Alrighty then. And what is your name, Mister Hero?"

"Bakugo. The names' Katsuki Bakugo."

I typed it in. "Katsuki... Bakugo... there, you're at the top of my Regular's list. Don't tell anyone, but you've got a little extra discount for being enjoyable to be around."

"Hey! Don't you ever forget that name, cause one day, it's going to be the name of the number one hero! And you'll get to say you knew him."

"Lucky me. I get to say that the number one hero was my number one customer."

"Whatever."

I grabbed my things. "Alright Mister Number One Hero, it's my lunch break now, so get out."

"But I haven't bought anything yet."

"Too bad, you were there for hours. If you want a conversation, you've gotta buy me lunch. You're on personal hours now."

He nodded. "Fine, there was nothing good for lunch in that crappy store anyway."

"There's a good place down by the water. I was thinking about going there for lunch, if you'd like to join?"

"You should have said that first! Shut up and take me there!"

I put my jacket on as we walked down to the water front. It was a blue leather jacket, and he seemed to notice it. It was sort of nice walking with someone to get lunch. For the first time in a long time, I didn't feel alone. There was always people around, but even with all the people I talk to, none of them I was truly close with, but with Bakugo, I felt like I could really talk with him. The place was sadly busy, but we got take out. I was surprised when he actually paid for my food too. We ended up going up to a mountain and sat at the top, looking over the water.

"You climbed that thing like a champ."

He nodded. "So did you. You like mountain climbing?"

"Sure do." I put my jacket down so we could sit on the grass. "So, have you ever climbed a building before?"