Chapter 2: Lead Dancer

"Sloppy. Our routine looks like it could go through a car wash. We need to be in tip-top shape for the Merrie Monarch Festival. And that was anything but graceful. I was bored watching it. Bend your knees, people. I want to see hula dancers, not hula hoops. Get water and take five. Leahi, front and center."

Miss Makana and her speeches are anything but motivational. She means well, but sometimes I wonder if she'd be a better drill sergeant than dance instructor. She's a navy brat, which might explain a few things. She grew up in Oahu on the big naval base.

"Hi, Miss Makana, what's up?"

"I'll tell you what's up, your legs. It would help if you bent your knees. Look, you're the best student in here. But you're as stiff as a tree today; you need to bend. Is everything okay at home?"

My eyes trail off toward the large mirror in our dance studio. The other students are looking to me to carry us into Merrie Monarch glory. Being the best sucks when my personal life is unraveling.

"Leahi, are you okay?"

"No, I'm not. My grandma is dying. She's struggling. Her lungs and heart aren't doing well. Can I leave early? I'm not into this today. I'm sorry, Miss Makana."

"I understand. I'm sorry to hear about your grandma. Before you leave, I want you to think about what I'm about to say. You're my lead hula dancer. But if your personal life is going to get in the way of this performance, you need to let me know so I can replace you. The Merrie Monarch Festival is three months away, and I'll need time to work one-on-one with a new lead. Let me know what your thoughts are. I'll give you a week to think it over. Your grandma is important to you, and so is hula. Talk it over with her."

"Thanks, Miss Makana. I appreciate your concern. I'll let you know. If I decide to step down, who will take my place?"

There are so many talented dancers, Aulani could replace me. I wouldn't mind my best friend taking over for me if it came to that. She's not as good as me, but she's a quick learner. Miss Makana needs a student like Aulani if I am to quit my role as the lead hula dancer.

"Aulani or Mimi. I would have an audition and let the other dancers decide who wins. How does that sound?"

"It sounds fair. Next week, I'll let you know if I'm going to stay on as lead dancer or step down. Thanks for understanding. Bye, Miss Makana."

I grab my belongings, and a picture of my parents and I falls to the ground like a leaf breaking off a tree. It's caught in mid-air by a new face, a young man I have never seen before.

"Is this your family? You all look happy. Is that you as a child. Wow, you were so cute back then?"

I swipe the picture away from Mr. Brown-noser.

"Rude much. I need to go."

"Hey, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be rude. I'm new here. Well, new to this island. I'm from Oahu. Where are my manners? I'm Kai."

"Leahi, and it's alright. I need to leave. I have errands to run. Enjoy the practice."

We shake hands, and our eyes meet. I'm staring into the eyes of a player; I know it. His curly black locks match his smirk. He looks like a male model, and he knows it.

I let go and look away. I don't need Mr. Brown-noser knowing I think he's hot. The sushi bar is closed, and it's late. My tutu is going to want her sushi. The grocery store catches my attention as the rain kisses my face in gently falling rivulets.

I pick up two variety sushi trays. I'm in the mood for salmon and eel. The grocery store employee wraps the sushi into two brown paper bags. My cash is running low these days, and my tutu needs me to get a job. She talks about college, but we both know the bills won't pay themselves for much longer.

"That will be $10.43."

I fidget around, digging through my things. My purse has moths flying out left and right. It's embarrassing to be poor.

"Here's a twenty. Keep the change."

A tall gentleman behind me is attempting to pay for my food.

"There's no need to do that. I'm sure I have the money somewhere," I beg.

"It's alright. You look like you need the help. Just do me a favor and make sure you pay it forward someday, okay?"

The tall gentleman pats my head and smiles. I return the smile; it's the least I can do for him.

"Mahalo. I will, thanks again, sir."

I walk straight up the hill, and as I turn around, the kind, tall gentleman drives away from the grocery store. The man looked familiar; I know I have seen his face somewhere before. He has familiar eyes and cheekbones. I'm sure I'll remember him at two in the morning.

Chirps of coqui frogs surround me as I ascend the mountain toward my house. The stars are still out, and they surround me with their brilliance. The black celestial blanket wraps itself around me, and for once, I feel at peace.