Chapter 10: An Agreement

I smiled softly into Howl's shirt.

      "Okay," I said quietly, wrapping my arms around his torso, gripping the back of his shirt gently.

      "Okay? I didn't think you'd be tamed so quickly, my love," Howl chuckled, holding me tighter, "but if it's what you desire then I am here to fulfil that desire."

      I felt my eye twitch at the pet name.

      "I don't care for that name," I quipped sharply.

      "Ah, there she is," Howl remarked.

      Complacent, (y/n)!! Remember the plan!

      "But, Howl," I gently pressed myself away from him, breaking the sweet embrace and connecting our eyes.

      "What is it, dear?" His features were unreadable for ulterior motives, his eyes were caring and soft and his brows were furrowed with genuine concern.

      "My heart... you don't have to take it right away do you? How am I to know you'll really do all the things you promised if I just give you what you want right away?" I questioned, trying to lean into a 'scared love-sick' girl character.

      Howl brought his hand up tenderly to cup my cheek.

      "There's no need to fret, I'll do what I've said and only then will I take what's mine," He responded.

      There it is! That spark of greed in his eyes!

      I pouted my lip and nodded. Internally my stomach was in knots and I was screaming at myself.

~~

    The day passed oddly fast. Howl wouldn't let me out of his sight and Calcifer made sure to give me snooty glances every chance our eyes met.

    I was seated in front of the fireplace next to Howl, who was helping me compose a letter to my parents. I'd only ever learned to read a little, and what I could write was near unreadable, my penmanship was quite poor.

          He'd told me the first part of his plan was to inform my parents that I eloped with a man. Personally my heart sunk a little, I felt guilty about ditching Adam- and my whole family for that matter. At one point I tried to convince Howl to let me go back home and tell them properly, but I should've known better, I had gained almost no trust from him just yet.

    "Alright I believe this should settle the matter. I'll have Markl deliver it tomorrow," Howl gently took the letter from my grip and folded it to fit into an envelope. "Do be a dear and write your address."

          "I'll just tell you my address. It'll be quicker that way, I assure you", I spoke, avoiding eye contact.

           Once I'd finished Howl sealed it all with a wax stamp. He tossed it onto the crowded table behind us before loosening the cuffs of his shirt.

    "So, what is it that you would like to do this evening?" Howl asked, a smile beaming on his face.

    I let out a sigh and looked around the room, tapping my hands on my lap. My eyes kept catching on all the dirt, grime, clutter and bugs. Howl seemed to take note of my slight disgust.

    "I can have Markl clean up a little bit tomorrow," Howl told me, approaching me from  behind, placing his hands on my shoulders, leaning in to kiss my cheek.

    I nearly lept from the seat, but I managed to play off my repulsed shock for flattered shock.

    "Oh-" I giggled through a forced smile.