42 | point of view

Start from the beginning

I shake my head. "Nope just... a coward."

He lifts a hand, rubbing the back of his neck. "Well, if it makes you feel any better, the tweet is gone, and a good majority of the people who saw it are like 'hey that's not even Dream don't spread that' so..."

I nod, swallowing tears. "I mean it... yeah. I guess a little. But I just feel like such a fucking dick. Like, what am I supposed to say to him? I'm sorry you got exposed because I'm stupid? I'm sorry I'm stupid? So I'm... avoiding it so I can sort the words, I think."

Harvey hums, brows lifting. "You want to know what I think?" He asks.

I nod.

"Okay..." He starts. "If I were in his shoes... I wouldn't care about anything else other than the fact that my partner hasn't contacted me in like four days. I'd be... very concerned about that. Nothing else. It's just a face, anyways. What's the last thing you said to him?"

I briefly think. "Something about finding a safe place to— oh shit." I realize exactly how bad it might seem.

I need to text Clay asap. "I think I need to leave and go clarify some things and be an adult." I say, shrugging the apron I borrowed off. "Put the cake in for 55 minutes once the oven beeps." I command, then make my way out of the kitchen, packing my stuff up.

I need to just... brace myself and see what Clay has to say, or at least tell him I'm alright, especially after how cryptic my last message could be seen as. Oh my God that last message was bad—

I rush getting my stuff together and getting out the door, leaving Ellie behind for now. She's taking a nap, anyways. It's a good thing it's literally a walk across the parking lot. I shuffle over to my apartment, key myself in, and go straight for my room. It's weird that it feels almost foreign to be here, in a way. We've really been locked down at Harvey's for four straight days. But, now we know where Mark is at, and nothing came of the situation.

That's how life is sometimes. Better safe than sorry.

I turn my phone on, impatiently drumming my fingers. What the fuck do I even say? Hey I'm sorry, also I'm sorry, by the way I'm sorry. Oh, and I'm not dead! Teehee!

I lift a thumb, gnawing the nail, lost in my head. I'm startled from the thought when I hear my front door open. I duck back into my room. What the fuck. Who the fuck— am I stupid?

I take in a ragged breath, entire body held tense. It's broken as I hear a voice. It's— Clay? And he's calling my name. His tone is shaky, ungrounded, almost raspy. I blink for a moment, letting my heart come back from outer space, and slowly rise to standing.

"Clay? I'm in my room." I call out, sounding just as ungrounded.

I can hear the uptick in his movement, focused as he barrels into my room looking around wildly. There's a moment where his eyes meet mine and he completely freezes, then he shudders into an exhale.

"Oh thank Christ." He breathes out, then he's charging me.

Clay lands his hands on me, gripping hard, like it's the last time he'll ever hold me, then we sink straight to the ground. I falter with my hands, still somewhat in shock as he props his back up against my closet door and buries his face in my neck.

I manage to land my hands on his shoulders, holding as he drags in an extended inhale. Something about it is choked, wet, and I slowly realize he's crying into my neck. I'm... surprised to say the least.

"Hey. I'm fine. Sorry about the... cryptid ass message." I mumble, soothing with my hands.

He nods into my neck, but only holds tighter, like he needs to feel everything of me on everything of him. Which... in his shoes... I might act the same.