32 | i'm Dré

"Sit anywhere!" Ellie chirps, pointing at the couch where me and Clay are still wrapped up in each other, totally frozen.

"This is my roommate—" Ellie points at me, then pauses before saying my name, like she almost forgot it.

"—and this is her man Cl—"

"DRÉ!" I yelp as a knee-jerk reaction, shouting over her. "His name is Dré." I say, staring at Ellie with the burn of a thousand suns.

Her entire face scrunches up in confusion, mouth parting, likely to ask what the fuck I'm doing.

I shoot up before she can speak, grabbing her arm. "Oh my God Ellie! I need your help with something really quick—" I say, too loud, and drag her off.

Clay makes a noise of protest from where he's still sitting. I feel bad for abandoning him, but decide he can handle it, he's a big boy. I push Ellie into her room and close the door behind us.

"What the fuck?" Ellie asks, brow drawn, hands raised in an expression of disbelief. "Dré? What—"

I grimace.

"So like— I don't— how do I say this—" I start, floundering for my words. "Are you familiar with Twitch?" I settle for.

She purses her lips. "I mean... kinda. I've heard you use it. Sometimes the people I hang with talk about it."

I grimace, searching for the words. "So like, Clay's lowkey kinda famous." I eventually sputter out.

Ellie lifts her brows. "What? Like on Twitch?" She asks.

I nod, feeling sheepish. "He's arguably the biggest name in Minecraft speedrunning—" I start, and Ellie barks a laugh.

"Not Minecraft— wait. Why— what— why does this matter?" She asks, grinning at me.

I worry my lip. "Your friends are dressed up as him and his friends. The— green one. That's Clay, or, Dream I guess. The blue is his friend George, the dude with the accent you talked to. And the guy is dressed as Sapnap, um, he was the other guy on that call." I explain.

Ellie laughs for a minute, staring at me. But, I stay serious, and she slowly melts into serious as well. "You're not messing with me?" She asks.

I groan, shaking my head. "I fucking— I wish I was." I say.

Ellie flounders for a moment. "What— why. Okay. I guess." She starts, then purses her lips. "I was wondering— honestly! He drives that nice ass car, I just thought maybe he was a sugar daddy accountant or—" She continues and I yelp, slapping her shoulder.

"So... call him Dré. For now." I say, shifting nervously.

Ellie raises a hand in salute. "Scouts honor!" She chirps, then turns toward the door. "We left him alone out there." She says.

My breath hitches. "Yeah... we sure did." I say, then scramble to open the door.

I walk out, looking as casual as I can, hearing laughter from the living room. All three of Ellie's friends having squeezed onto the couch with Clay, the one dressed as Dream pressed into his side.

I barely don't laugh. Clay looks up at me wide eyed, raising his brows in an expression of disbelief.

I stride back out into the living room, releasing as casual of a laugh as I can. "Sorry! Needed help with my bra." I say, plopping back down in Clay's lap like a shield.

Ellie follows me out, looking somewhat stiff. "Wow— cool costumes! What are they of?" She immediately asks, and I grimace.

The girl dressed as Dream lights up. "It's this super cool streamer— he plays..." I tune it out, turning to look at Clay wide-eyed myself.