Chapter 2 - The Aftermath

Early morning - Sector 006

I stirred awake to the sound of a nerve-wrecking alarm. I groaned, turning over and reaching out for the clock, feeling around until it finally went silent.

I let out a sigh of relief at the sudden peace, collapsing back onto the bed where I remained for the few golden moments until the alarm went off a second time. I shot up, eyes scanning the room as a wave of panic engulfed me in it's grasp.

Only one thought made it to my mind. Where am I...

The familiarity of the place quickly settled my doubt. The same small space, with the ever so faint line of light creeping in through the closed blinds. The painfully organized shelves, untouched for weeks... the destitute. My apartment. What else.

My breathing calmed, finally allowing my mind to return to me as the panicked thoughts faded into the back of my mind where they belonged. I turned to the hysterical little device showing me the time. 6:35.

"Morning already..." I muttered under my breath as I turned off the device and pulled myself up, lingering mindlessly in front of the bed, looking out into the empty room before me, gathering the courage to move.

How much I wished I could just lay down and never get up again, let the sheets make me as one of their own. But work waited for no one.

Even if the weekend had completely gone by in the blink of an eye... I- wait...what was it with that anyway... how could it be Mon already...? What happened to...?

I shook the thought away, gently rubbing at the sting on the side of my neck, as I made my way to the closet. Every muscle cried out in agony, but I ignored it, just like I ignored the ache creeping up on my head. It would go away eventually.

It didn't take me long to find my uniform and I quickly slipped it on, tucking the sleeves down to cover as much of the green as possible. The monotone white of the cloth always brought out the vibrancy of my skin, which was a good thing for most, but for me, not so much...

It made me stand out... 

I threaded my fingers through the dark purple mess I called hair, pushing it away from my face as I stepped in front of the small square mirror on the wall.

By the great Evunek- did I really look like that...

How long had it been since I've looked at myself, surely if I actually had I wouldn't have been okay with going out looking this... bad.

But there was no use to it now, I couldn't fix weeks of neglect in just a few minutes.

I shrugged off the sudden pressure settling in my chest and made my way to the other side of the room, starting to rummage through the kitchen cupboards in search of the ingredients for the energy shake. I mixed them in the blender, then proceeded to apathetically stare at it until the machine stopped before pouring it into a glass.

I opened the drawer in search of the pillbox, but found it absent. A strange strange occurrence, considering I always had everything so organized, but it was probably a result of the still lingering headache.

And so, I continued my search throughout the entirety of the kitchen before moving on to the living room, to no success. I checked the bedroom then finally the bathroom, where I found it sitting on the sink.

I frowned, trying  to remember why I could possibly have left it here, but my thoughts were just blurs and my mind was in too much pain to think clearly. I quickly grabbed the box and started back for the kitchen, casually opening it to take out the meds, but was instead met with something else. 

My breath caught in my throat, my body freezing in place as I stared at the opened box. It was empty. Only but a few pills left inside 

"Great Evu..."

No... it couldn't be- I couldn't have-... There has to be another explanation... There has to be.

But there wasn't. I knew there wasn't. I couldn't bear the sight of it, yet found it impossible to look away. Forcing myself to endure the sight. 

It wasn't until my phone hummed that I realized I was out of it. Who knows for how long. I blinked a few times, recomposing myself before turning to the device sitting on the counter. I picked it up, skimming through a few of the dozen messages.

Most from Niri.

I couldn't right now... Especially not Niri. I left the device in it's place and returned to the counter where my smoothie awaited. I took one final glance at the pillbox in my hands before taking out a few of the remaining pills and quickly downing them, not allowing myself another second of self torture.

Without waiting another second I hurried to the door, grabbing my coat and bag then heading out, the door clicking shut after me and I let out a sigh, a slight hint of relief easing itself over me.

It  wasn't much of a change, but at least it wasn't there.

I waited a moment until I settled down before sliding the bag over my shoulder, starting down the hallway, pathetically trying to quiet my thoughts before arriving at work, but my effort was interrupted by a voice.  

"Good morning"

My body came to an sudden stop and I glanced back, seeing a man walk out the door next to mine. He was slightly shorter than me, dressed in a lab coat similar to mine, but unlike me he actually looked well put together.

It wasn't like neighbours to just greet me. Part of me wanted to just ignore him and leave before anything went south, but my curiosity got the better of me and I was forced to stay.

"Hello," I greeted back, keeping my voice low, unsure of how this would pan out.

"I'm your new neighbor" he gestured to his door, a faint smile resting on his face as he approached, hand extended to me. "61491 Bo-"

Bo...

Bo...?

"Bo! Bo-Ko! Come on!"

A voice invaded my mind, a soft, yet sharp sound. Like that of a child. But I didn't recognize who's it was... I can't remember the last time I even saw a child. Could I- Did I... did I know this man?

I must've been staring too long for Bo tilted his head and spoke again. "You alright there, kid?"

"Yes!" I snapped out of it. "Xir Bo-" I quickly shook his hand, keeping my eyes low. "Bo... iIt just... it sounds familiar" I spoke softly, mostly to myself. Didn't think he heard me. But he replied. 

"Does it now?"

There was something about him that was unsettling. He didn't seem like everyone else. Somehow, more expressive, yet his eyes were devoid of any emotion.

One without the other I could take, but the combination of both- it made my skin crawl. A shiver coursing down my spine, prompting me to quickly wrap it up.

"Agh- you know- I have to get to work- I uh- I'll see you-" I quickly excused myself then hurried off, hearing him utter out a faint 'see you' before the only sound remaining was the rhythmic sound of my footsteps in the empty hall.