-twenty-six-

The silver charm's surface was smudged, bits of rust outlining the edges, and Celeste's face was barely visible in the reflective material.

The charm depicted a crescent moon in front of a blue and purple swirled night, a few clouds present in the distance.

Celeste smiled faintly, remembering the context in which this necklace was given.

When Celeste was in her second year, she had come to realize the truth about Remus's condition.

She had been doing a fairly good job of sneaking around, checking on him in the Hospital Wing and leaving before he found out.

This time, however, she had failed at doing so, and had fallen asleep with her head on his hospital bed.

When she woke up, she found Remus staring at her, and she couldn't held but blush at the awkwardness of the situation.

"Be careful with those cuts on your face, Remus. Those full moons can be a pain in the butt." Celeste smiled at him, trying to calm the nervous thoughts that she was sure were running through his brain.

She left the hospital in a rush, mentally hitting her head onto a wall.

Celeste was sure that they'd never speak again and he'd think she was weird for the rest of his life.

Boy, was she wrong.

The next day, Remus was on a mission. He was determined to find Celeste.

"Celeste?" The grey-eyed girl turned to look at him, scared of what he'd say.

He handed her a small black box. Inside, there was a gorgeous necklace decorated with a crescent moon.

She looked up at him, confusion clear on her face. "What's this for?"

Remus smiled shyly, digging his hands into his cardigan's pockets. "I know that you've visited me in the hospital wing... more than just this once. I know it's you who leaves the notes outside of my dorm for the classes I miss, and I know that it's you that left those special salves for my cuts."

Celeste gulped.

"And I just wanted to say," He breathed. "Thank you."

"For what?" Celeste was bewildered.

"For not hating me? For helping me? For making sure I was alright when no one else knew?"

Celeste's eyes softened. "Why would I hate you?"

"Because I've always believed that I'm a monster, but I guess I can't be if you barely know me and you wanted to help." Remus fiddled with his thumbs.

She smiled at him, stroking the charm on the necklace with her thumb.

"I just... if you wear that charm, then maybe it'll remind me that the moon can't be that bad, if someone like you is the one wearing it. Maybe if I look at the moon, I'll think of you, and it won't be that scary."

She didn't deserve this gift. She didn't deserve anything Remus had given her, including hope.

Celeste sighed and tucked the charm into her pocket, climbing down the stairs towards the common room.