chapter 2

If you ask wy the foto up here i just finde it funny XD
——————————————————
One of the most important rules for truck drivers is to never swerve on the road. Swerving can result in tipping over the cargo being transported and causing a bigger wreck than just driving straight. Swerving can cause the truck to hit another car, person, or other regardless. This can be the same for braking too. To be a truck driver, a person has to bury those initial reactions and brace for the impact. It’s a real life morality game.

There’s a sharp ringing in Ash’s ears, and that’s all there is. He can feel the way his jaw is out of socket. He can feel the busted asphalt and debris digging into his left shoulder, arm, and thigh. Ash can feel liquid without a specific temperature leaking down his cheeks. Ash cracks open his grime-matted lids to see what was once a car is now a twisted metal heap. It’s bent almost at a ninety degree angle and tilted on its side. One wheel is still spinning lazily while the others are warped or blown out. Scraps of fabric and plastic dangle idly like vines from a tree. A steady stream of liquid is sliding down the car’s undercarriage and pooling on the ground. A semi is next to the abstract metal. The front of it barely has a scratch on it. Ash is able to take this in, and yet the ringing in his ears is getting louder and unbearable. He can’t hear anything else. 

Ash tries to inhale, but only dust and bits of glass enter his throat. A heavy cough wracks his body and gives birth to a worse pain within Ash’s chest. A warm, wet splatter hits Ash’s mouth. He knows this isn’t good - that he needs to be doing something - but he can’t remember what it is nor does he desire to get up. He wants to escape the pain.

Ash shuts his heavy, green eyes and is out. 

A sharp pain in his sternum brings Ash back to wakefulness. His eyes fly open and see blurry figures hovering around him. A few bleary blinks clear up his vision enough to see EMTs and paramedics fluttering around him. One is removing their knuckles away from Ash’s chest after performing a sternum rub. Another is asking Ash questions, but he can’t understand what they’re saying. He can’t hear them. The ringing from before has stopped, but there’s hardly anything coming through. A muffle here and there, but overall it’s silent. 

It then clicks in Ash’s muggy mind. 

Ah. He’s ruptured his eardrums. Ash has done this before when he first began using guns. It’s annoying as hell to deal with but he’ll manage. Ash glances around the carnage, and the previous events slam back to him.

“Eiji! Shorter!” Ash shouts or at least he believes he does. He can feel the strain on his throat and taste iron on his tongue. His jaw is sore from it being popped back into place. “Where are they!?”

He looks at the medics desperately. He doesn’t know how much time has passed or if they’re okay. Last he saw them was when that semi was coming...

“Eiji!” Ash bolts up and nearly passes out from the pain alone. 

Hands are on him immediately and force him to lay back down. Ash can see their lips moving but that’s it. No doubt they’re telling him not to move or some bullshit encouragements to comfort him. 

“Shorter! Eiji! Please!” Ash calls again. He feels so helpless. Ash can hardly move. He can’t listen for his boyfriends. He doesn’t know where they are. He needs to know they’re safe. He needs to know they’re alive. And he can’t do any of that because he’s weak. 

Are they dead? Did Shorter die choking on his own blood? Did Eiji die alone and in pain? Were their eyes gouged out? Was Shorter impaled? Did Eiji die on impact? If they’re alive, do they think they’re alone too? Do they think Ash is dead? Are they in pain? Are they even awake? Are they as defenseless as Ash is? Will they survive?