chapter 1

Eiji sighs as he looks out the window and watches the countdown for the crosswalks. At zero, there’s the familiar loud beeping and chirping noise to notify people it’s time to cross the street. The brunette watches as massive crowds migrate around.

He, Shorter, and Ash wanted to enjoy the new spring weather by going for a drive. It feels amazing outside! Eiji has his arm sticking out of the car window and moving it around against the wind when the car is in motion. Car rides are also another way for Eiji to learn about New York. He’s discovered that since the streets are numbered, it’s not that difficult to navigate through the city. He’s also learned that in order to move around the roads, a person has to be assertive.

Eiji is dragged from his thoughts by Shorter’s rant and Ash’s laughter.

“Listen, all I’m saying is that if you didn’t play with a Lite-Brite growing up, you’re uncultured,” Shorter has his hands up and shaking his head.

“But we don’t have those in Japan, Shorter,” Eiji turns in his seat to look back at the purple-haired man.

He flinches as he’s met dead on with the asshole who has their brights on behind them despite being in a city. Shorter tilts his body so that the lights no longer blind his boyfriend.

“Not even a knock-off version?” Shorter’s brows raise above his sunglasses. The brunette shrugs.

“I don’t know. Maybe? There probably is, but I don’t see what the big deal is. It sounds boring,” Eiji cocks his head.

“That is literally the worst thing you’ve ever said to me,” Shorter deadpans.

The light turns green, and Ash eases on the accelerator.

“Stop being so dramatic,” Eiji chastises.

“Uh-uh. This is a direct violation,” Shorter declares.

“Violation? Of what?” Ash glances at the rearview mirror to look at his boyfriend.

He looks back at the road, and the car stops, jolting them forward in their seats as a person cuts Ash off. There wasn’t even a turn signal used! Ash honks, rolling down his window.

“I hope you die from a fender bender!”

The driver of the opposing car sticks his hand out, flipping Ash off.

“Tsk. Probably the type to not let people in when a lane is closed,” Ash grumbles. “I’m going to side swipe him off a bridge.”

Watching Ash or Shorter go into a road rage rant is amusing, but not nearly as amusing as watching Eiji have road rage. He speaks his native language and uses bizarre hand motions and gestures that would only make sense in Japan. It’s a sight to behold.

“Behave,” Eiji soothes Ash by rubbing the male’s bicep with a gentle squeeze.

The blond slumps with an irritated sigh but does as Eiji says. The brunette truly has no clue of the power he holds over New York. He has two of the top gang leaders wrapped around his finger. They would go to war for Eiji, and if someone dares to hurt him... That person is fucked.

Ash’s abrupt stop gets the people behind him to honk as well but there’s no ill intent at Ash’s expense. More like they agree with Ash’s frustration. Since living in the big city, Eiji has learnt that people use their horns religiously. It’s a way of communication. There’s different meanings based on how long the horn goes on for, how many pauses are in between the honks, and how light the sound is. It’s like another language.