Girls Night Out

TRIGGER WARNING

SEXUAL REFERENCES, HIV, ALCOHOL

It had been the worst day of Mollie Appleton's life. Despite having earlier that day walked in on her childhood sweetheart and fiance Adam fucking her lifelong best friend Eloise, she was sat in a club where she could barely hear herself think let alone her friends words of comfort in between being chattered up and making out with guys. Not that Mollie particularly wanted to get cosy with any of them, they were like clones.

She adjusted the strap on her too-tight dress and sighed. Maybe she was being unfair. It wasn't as if her friends hadn't tried to get her to enjoy herself. Her friend Natalie had picked out the "sexiest" dress Mollie owned and had forced her into it. It was dark red, with thin straps that crossed over in the back, just low cut enough at the front to show some cleavage. And once Olivia had been at her with her makeup kit, Mollie felt that she looked somewhat okay. Her outfits of choice were usually jeans and oversized sweatshirts. A cute messy bun in her hair. She didn't usually bother with makeup.

The place was alive with noise, chattering and laughter surrounding Mollie in every direction. As she observed the scene, she wondered whether 1 am was an acceptable time to slouch off home to her one-bedroom flat. All she really wanted was her comfy bed and vodka. Lots of vodka.

A guy sat a couple of seats away from her. He was staring at her, which would have normally annoyed Mollie if she didn't find him so attractive. Dark hair flopped in his eyes, which were a clear, brilliant blue and his skin was sun-kissed like he spent a lot of time in the great outdoors instead of being shut up in a stuffy office all day.

"Maybe flirting with someone would be a good idea." she thought to herself. 

"Perhaps it would show Adam that I'm not undesirable. I can get another man no problem."

Their eyes met. He smiled, showing a dimple on his left cheek. He made his way over.

"Were you looking at me?" she asked, a smile forming on her face.

"Maybe." he grinned. "Or maybe I was trying to figure out what drink I was going to buy you. If I may."

He indicated a row of colourful bottles that lined the wall behind the bar. Surprised yet flattered by his forward approach, she nodded and stretched her hand out towards him.

"I'm Mollie."

"Drew."

They shook hands.

It wasn't long before their drinks arrived and they sunk deep into conversation. Everything came pouring out, how she'd just ended her long time engagement and had been forced into coming out that night by her friends. He told her about him being an up and coming musician who has struggled to settle down due to his touring. A constant stream of cities. The ultimate rock and roll lifestyle. However, His agency had set up a permanent studio on the other side of the city, so he was hoping for a little more stability.

The drinks kept on coming, hand in hand with the conversation. All of Mollie's worries and heartbreak were gone as the vodka and lemonade warmed her throat and body. All she cared about at that moment were a pair of clear, brilliant eyes. Lips that she wanted so desperately to kiss her.

Bright lights on. Everyone filed out of the club. Mollie couldn't see her friends anywhere and assumed that they'd all gone off with various guys. Drew stood beside her this whole time, watching her. She swayed a bit, leant on his arm, giggling at nothing. She was wasted.

He asked her to come home with him and Mollie, thinking nothing of the many possible dangers of this, agreed straight away.

A taxi took them to a quiet part of town where his flat was on the top floor of a nice building overlooking the river. Once they got inside, he set the keys down and took a step towards her. She followed suit. Their faces an inch from one another. Their lips fell together in an explosion of sexual lust. They kissed for several minutes before his mouth slowly moved down towards his neck. She wound her hands in his hair as he started to slip off her dress.

Molly awoke the next morning by sunlight streaming through a gap in the curtains. She sank back on her pillows, the events of the night before spreading on her face in a smile. She turned to face Drew.

He wasn't there. A note lay where his head was supposed to be. Her heart plummeted as she read the note.

Six words. Six awful words.

"Welcome to the HIV club, Mollie."