Chapter 14

Richelle's Perspective:

When Emily said that I'd have a lot of work to do today, I didn't think it was so literal. She gave Noah and I a duet this morning. For The Next Step's first competition this year. Of course I was so excited, but duets, well...they stir up a lot of emotion. Especially when they're done by two people with a lot of chemistry.

I didn't want to think that Noah and I had a lot of chemistry, but we did. There wasn't really any denying it. And even if it was just friendship chemistry—which it wasn't—knowing us, it would turn into something more. I really didn't want that, not today, not ever.

The duet was going absolutely great, our choreography was amazing. It was about a Black Widow spider, slowly seducing it's prey until she finally catches it. Definitely a winning routine. If not for me.

When we went full out, I was purposely trying to give no emotion. It was terrible, but I knew that I needed to do it. If I didn't, then I might've connected to much with Noah. I didn't want to stir up anything else between us.

I purposely voted against a slow, passionate dance because I knew that how much I liked him would show itself. And that couldn't happen.

Noah's Perspective:

I didn't understand why Richelle wasn't showing any emotion. She usually showed so much when she danced, even if it was just confidence and sass. And she usually emoted past her normal amount with me. But she wasn't.

For a split second, just a split second, I thought about dancing with Jacquie at the auditions. How she showed emotion, and that if she was in this dance, chemistry would not be an issue.

I told myself not to think like that, that things would be fine with Richelle, but I couldn't get the thought out of my mind. I thought about it all practice. And when we were finished, it was even more clear.

I needed to do something about it, even if it was just talking about it. I was going to try and find Emily.

It turned out that that wasn't a hard task to complete. Emily was right at the counter in Neutral Grounds when I went to get a juice. Perfect.

"Emily?" I asked her. "Can I talk to you for a second?"

"Sure Noah. Wait, is there something wrong the duet? Do you need help with choreo or something?"

"No, no nothing like that. It's just, there's something wrong with the connection." I started.

"Connection?" She had a very puzzled look on her face.

"Yeah. The connection." I wanted to be very careful when I explained this because I would never want to hurt Richelle. "Well...Richelle's not emoting. At all. She's-emotionally stiff."

"Emotionally stiff?"

"Yes. And I'm afraid that it might mess up the duet." I said.

"Well, what can we do about that? Do you have someone to replace her or something?" I could tell she was getting slightly annoyed, whether it was with me asking or Richelle being emotionless.

"No, I haven't thought of anyone." I didn't think I said that very convincingly. I hoped that  she bought it.

"Really? No one?" She didn't buy it.

"Well..." I thought for a moment before just spitting it out. "I think that Jacquie could, possibly."

"Jacquie? Noah, I'm not here to make decisions based on who you have a crush on."

Then I heard a bang by the door, and someone rushing out. Along with sobs. I saw a wave of blonde hair leave the doorframe before the body disappeared from my view. There was only one person that could be.

Richelle. She heard the whole thing.