Chapter 8 - The Borrow

Start from the beginning

"They were brilliant! My uncle was brilliant! The magic they used was so advanced. They managed to map all the grounds and rooms in Hogwarts!" Betelgeuse asserted elated.

"Yes, your uncle was a gifted wizard," he regarded her with a soft smile. "And so are you! I saw your results. Excellent. Now, tell me about your chosen electives!" He demanded trying to change the topic.

Betelgeuse understood his wish and swiftly obliged. "I chose Care of Magical Creature, Arithmancy and Study of Ancient Runes. I am not entirely convinced about the first, but I will give it a try," she stated. He was vastly impressed, Betelgeuse could see it. He stayed silent.

"I discarded Divination immediately. I do not wish to be disrespectful, but that class looks like a big pile of dung," the girl added, making her companion choke on a piece of vegetable.

"Betelgeuse!" He reprimanded her softly.

"Sorry, sorry," she amended sheepishly. "I am not interested in muggle stuff and such. So I cut out Muggle Studies." He nodded, he empathised with her reasoning about the class. They shared the same indifference for the subject.

"I wanted to pick Arithmancy and Ancient Runes only, but I felt that Care of Magical Creature could broaden my knowledge of the Magical World. Plus the twins chose it, so it is a win-win for me."

They continued to talk till the early hours of the morning, neither noticing the passing of time.

☆☆☆

Betelgeuse was restless. She had packed her trunk, readied Castor cage, folded her clothes twice, and reopened her chest to check everything trice.

Summer had gone in an instant. Now she was standing in the gloomy hallway of her home, postponing the inevitable. Her stay at the Weasleys.

"Have you packed everything?" Came from somewhere an amused elegant voice.

"Hilarious," Betelgeuse retorted rolling her eyes.

"Do not worry, Meus Stella," he replied, approaching the girl with a leisurely stride. "They will love you. And if they do not, you summon Kreacher at once, and you come back home immediately. I will find a way to make them repent their actions," he continued with a sinister tone.

Betelgeuse signed. "No need, I am just nervous. What if they can not let go of my family past deeds? What if they ask of my living, say, arrangement?" She asked, rambling.

"You mean what if they ask of what the Lestrange part of your family did. You are a Black, first and foremost. Do not forget it," he firmly stated. "Molly and Arthur Weasley are agreeable and considerate people, from what I recall. I am sure they will welcome you with open arms. They would not have invited you otherwise. If they inquire about your living arrangement, you just tell them what we agreed on, nothing more nothing less." He reassured her.

"Now, enjoy your last days of summer. Please, do not burden the Weasleys too much, I imagine with all those children they have already their hands full. I would urge you to thank them for me, but alas, that is quite impracticable. How unfortunate," he quipped, gaining a hearty laugh from Betelgeuse.

"Off you go! I love you, Meus Stella," he finished, surprising the girl with his open display of affection. 

"Love you too," she promptly reacted.

"Kreacher!" The house-elf appeared, bowing deeply.

"Please Kreacher, can you take me to the Borrow, the Weasleys home, in Ottery St Catchpole, Devon?" The house-elf complied swiftly, grumbling about foul Blood-traitors. Within a second, Betelgeuse found herself facing a whimsical building.