thirty six

Working two days a week was enough for the girl, especially during the summer

She would see people come in and out of the cafe in their summer clothes, enjoying their time off whilst she stood suffering in the heat, having to talk to people.

"You could at least try and look happy," the voice of the boy she didn't want to see or remotely associate with said from behind her. "You look miserable, it'll make the customers unhappy."

"Why don't you stand here then, and I'll go do something else?" Nari forces a smile. "Please, that would be great."

"It's not even about facing the customers, it's about facing me," Haknyeon said as the girl walked towards the opposite end of the cashier area. "I hoped you would be able to put that aside to deliver for our customers."

"Are you listening to yourself?" The girl scoffs, the boy shrugging. "I don't need to push aside how I feel about being in your presence, not for anyone."

"Not even to do your job?" He chuckled, realising he was getting under the girls skin. "Fine, I'm sure our manager will be happy when he sees your face like that."

"And I'm sure he'll be really happy when I tell him that you borderline harass me every time you see me out of work," the girl retaliates, forcing a smile before walking away.

Nari set out to avoid him for the day, doing tasks and stupid things around the floor of the cafe just to stay out of his way.

She even decided today would be the first day in a while that she took up the cleaning chores left by their manager. Cleaning was her least favourite job in here, but was any job her favourite?

The girl looked at the mop, sighing deeply as she looked around the relatively quiet place, realising how was her best time to start.

And if it meant being away from him, then so be it.

"So, you never told me," Haknyeon started as the girl stared into space. "Who did you choose?"

"Who did I what?" Nari snapped out of her thoughts, looking over at the boy who had a smug smile on her face, one which she wanted so badly to wipe off of it.

"I'm guessing it wasn't Sunwoo after all," he shrugged, looking away. "I haven't seen you two together. Actually, funnily, I did see him w-"

"You're really that invested in my life?" The girl cut him off with a scoff, ignoring where the sentence was going, because truthfully, she didn't want to hear it just yet.

"Why would I be?" The boy retaliated, a small smirk playing on his lips. "I guess it is pretty fun watching all these guys defend and fight for you, knowing that none of them will get anywhere."

Nari scoffed yet again, this one louder than before, loud enough that customers turned their heads to look at the two who stood bickering. As expected, Haknyeon flashed a charming smile at the people, which seemed to be enough for them to turn around and ignore the scene.